Actual LED TVs? do they exist?

Are any TVs just LED? Or is LED just a backlight to an LCD panel? I thought they'd invented TVs where every dot was a tricolour LED, but I can't find any such thing.

You mean like these: https://www.sony.com/electronics/tv/t/led-televisions
Not tri-color LEDs, but millions of each RGB color
https://www.techhive.com/article/247717/sony_shows_off_55_inch_crystal_led_hdtv.html

Usually called O-LED
--
*Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I seem to recall that there was a problem with overheating and differing efficiencies and light vs current curves of the colours. Also the colours may look right but often were not. I don't know what the likes of Sony are doing but I guess it depends on subjective factors. Brian
--
----- --
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Large TV sets are on offer with OLED technology. 55 inch, 65 inch, prices to match.
https://www.techradar.com/news/best-oled-tvs-our-pick-of-the-best-oled-televisions-you-can-buy-today
There are a limited number of OLED substrate suppliers. It appears the materials are modular enough, to scale up the design.
There are different types as well. QD is Quantum Dot.
"Quantum dots have properties intermediate between bulk semiconductors and discrete atoms or molecules. Their optoelectronic properties change as a function of both size and shape"
https://www.zdnet.com/article/fear-and-trembling-lg-display-faces-the-axe-for-oled-tv-burn-in-and-market-squeeze/
"Another pain-point for LG will be that Samsung's QD-OLED will actually use the "problematic" blue pixel as its light source and use red and green QD colour filters that in theory, decrease the chance of burn-in. If Samsung's QD-OLED is able to achieve this, and avoid burn-in, the panels will actually be able to show "true colours" as it will not use white pixel filters."
It appears the writers of these articles have taken a few too many "drama classes" in school.
Paul

At TV size you can see 4K and 8K quite easily.

Agreed. Sony is like BMW. Overpriced and badly designed.
I would not say they are any worse or better than others, but sadly in today's market the makers do tend to cut corners, and depending on which corners get cut it affects life. Samsung tend to suffer with cheap capacitors, Sony often don't test enough, this particularly shows in mechanical rigidity, and firmware cock ups. Panasonic expensive gear seems very good, but it looks like the cheaper end are badge engineered off the shelf products. Brian
--
----- --

Funny how I watched The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime at 4K.
And even if you're favourite shitty broadcaster doesn't yet, they will long before your new 4K TV wears out.
On 27/07/2020 22:59, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Not from a broadcast feed you didn't. That was streaming over your phone line. Only SKY broadcast 4K, afaik.

You get what you pay for. Eurosport SD is shit, probably to make you pay for HD.
On 27/07/2020 17:56, Commander Kinsey wrote:

I've got a camcorder with an OLED screen which got fainter and fainter and redder and redder until now I can only see it in a darkened room.
--
Max Demian

On 28/07/2020 11:45:33, Max Demian wrote:

I had a mobile phone a while ago that was OLED. Probably very low power but had terrible image burn.