Actual LED TVs? do they exist? (2023 Update)

It seems Q-LED is superior. Brighter, no burn-in, stronger colours, and cheaper.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

A lot of black and white film has a style about it that isn't matched by any colour system.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Yes, although they're usually only used for very large displays and many are 'signage' rather than true video quality. My local Ladbroke's has several in their windows. I don't know if they take a standard video signal or use some form of custom input.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

If you go to e.g. a rock concert or sports event the huge display screens are typically LED..

Look for OLED Tvs. these are 'organic' LEDS which are not simple LEDS.

Probably the best screen quality out there. There is no point in going higher density pixels than the source quality though. Blu ray sets the limit. Hard to find new much under £1000 though.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ladbroke's ones are definately not the best screen quality and are a matrix display

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Yes they exist but as you make the pixels smaller they can mit less light and the panel gets hotter. There is also an imbalance between the colours and their linearity. Often what is done is to use UV light and then use a phosphor to generate the colours. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There's online content which is 4k HDR which my TV will play. Not much of it though... I don't know from personal experience, but I suspect most BD discs aren't 4k either.

My favourite complaint is down to bit starvation, not the quality. It's no good being full HD if there aren't enough bits in the transmission to stop visible artefacts.

Note to TV fans - if you like watching TV do not EVER _EVER_ get a job in it. You'll get taught how to see all the defects. DAMHIK...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

The same was true of working in the music industry :-( All I heard was the dire sound mix quality.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher