Asymmetric hinges, do they exist, do they have a special name?

I'm after some hinges with one flap about 18mm across and the other flap twice as much or even more. Are there such things and, if so, what are they called?

If they don't exist then I'll have to make do with some flush hinges which are sort of 'near enough' but may not be very robust.

Reply to
Chris Green

Not quite sure what you mean, but something like these

or did you mean the flap length, in which case an H hinge and cut one side down to size
I often find simply Googling images gets you what you want if you don't know the name. Failing all else there's this 'helpful' video

Chris Hogg

There are things called "parliament hinges" which you can find with google. Perhaps not exactly what you want but they may be suitable. I had to use them for our back door so that it would clear the kitchen cupboards.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Not sure what you mean. Are you talking about hose you often see on sheds with one bit like three vertical screws, but the other side is a long pointed bit with screws all the way along it? The Rustic look, or in the case of my shed, rusty! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Those are rather like the kitchen door hinges with a virtual pivot point located away from the door and arranged by a clever multi jointed lever system that also has the closing and notch for keeping them shut. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not quite. I have some parliament hinges one one of my garage doors, they are designed to move the pivot clear of wall/door.

I don't want to move the pivot but I need the fixing point set further back on one side than the other.

Reply to
Chris Green

These are what I'd call flush hinges, they might work but aren't ideal.

But what I need is more 'reach' on one side than the other, e.g. (ASCII art coming up)192.168.1.95:-

_______ |.| .| |.| .| |.| .|

-------

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes, of course, you've pointed me in the right direction. What I want is a small strap hinge. I want the 'short' side small enough to fit onto the edge of an 18mm thick door while the long side will be fixed onto a wall.

Reply to
Chris Green

Or, more correctly, a tee hinge. I need small ones though, probably

75mm, and I want 'nice looking' ones for indoor domestic use.

There are also 'short sided' hinges which would provide what I want.

Reply to
Chris Green

inset cabinet hinges, e.g.

They look a bit lightweight though, if you were hoping to use them on a door ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've just looked for asymmetric hinge on Google images, and found quite a few but foreign.

A diagram of a hinge pin being removed gave me the idea that you could buy big and small hinges from the same maker, then pair them oddly after removing and replacing the pins.

Reply to
Dave W

Yes, I found quite a few 'possibles' in my continued searches using 'tee', 'short sided', etc. in the search. However some of the prices are insane, like why are these £32 :-

Just two flat plates with a pin through. I did eventually find similar from Hong Kong for about £1. For some reason hinges seem to be sold by rip-off merchants, I found one from 'Suffolk Latches' which was £16 but the identical item from the same dealer's eBay shop was £8.

At a lower level tee hinges from B&Q cost £5 and up, identical items from Toolstation and Screwfix are less than one pound. Yes, I know B&Q are hardly renowned for low prices but the differential in hinge prices seems worse than for most things.

Reply to
Chris Green