Windows 10 oddity

After a period of non-use my PC requires the password (which is sensible). However, sometimes it requires Ctrl-Alt-Del and sometimes it does not. I cannot see any pattern, but I suppose it may be a two-stage process depending on time out of use. Anyone know?

Reply to
Scott

Am 30.11.2022 um 10:18:04 Uhr schrieb Scott:

Normally, Windows doesn't require Ctrl+Alt+Del. You can switch that off in gpedit.msc.

Reply to
Marco Moock

In message <tm7g6v$2g2es$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Marco Moock snipped-for-privacy@posteo.de writes

From the man who made it famous.

-was-a-mistake

Brian

Reply to
brian

Have you got smart unlock, so if it can see your phone nearby by bluetooth, it doesn't lock?

Reply to
Andy Burns

On modern windows that keychord doesn't have anything like the devastating effect it could have on a PC running MSDOS.

It merely gets the attention of the OS and allows you to start task manager - which can be a useful thing to do on a sluggish PC - then you know which task is hogging CPU, disk or memory (often it was IE).

Reply to
Martin Brown

Not really, but since updates are very regular, it could be that if there has had to be an update certain things need to be done, if no update, then they don't. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The usage of Control-Alt-Delete, is to ensure that Session 0 receives a password entry, and a session created by malware is not capturing the information.

"Secure attention

Login spoofing is a social engineering trick in which a malicious computer program with the appearance of a Windows login dialog box prompts for user's account name and password to steal them.

To thwart this attack, Windows NT implements an optional security measure in which Ctrl+Alt+Delete acts as a secure attention key combination.

Once the protection is activated, Windows requires the user to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete each time before logging on or unlocking the computer.

Since the key combination is intercepted by Windows itself and malicious software cannot mimic this behavior, the trick is thwarted.

Unless the Windows computer is part of a Windows domain network, the secure attention protection is disabled by default and must be enabled by the user."

I copied that section, to give some idea of what they are up to.

Whether it's being implemented properly, or being applied at the right time... well, it's Windows innit.

Paul

Reply to
Paul