2x4 Framing: which screws to use?

I am planning to finish out my basement, and would like to frame it out with 2x4's. Due to a wrist injury, I would prefer to use screws instead of nails, even if I have to pre-drill pilot holes. Are 2.5" or 3" standard drywall screws adequate to use? Please advise as to the correct type. thanks.

Reply to
308nato

That's what I use. Works fine for me.

Reply to
Mikepier

3" coarse threads are what I use.

IF you are planning on having this inspected you might want to run this by the inspector before you do it. Not that I think it is a problem in this application but DW screws do not have the same shear strength as nails. So some inspectors are picky.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I don't think drywall screws are considered a good choice. They may be cheap, but they are brittle and can break. I would also suggest getting a square drive and like screws. Consider non-galvanized deck screws.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I second the idea that drywall are not a good choice. Go for square drive deck screws, 3". Phillips drive are too easy to strip out the head.

Reply to
Roger T.

They have a large choice of deck screws, square drive bits, and a lot of information about them.

OTOH, screw are generally not considered the best way to frame anything. I'd use a nail gun if I could not hammer properly. Screw break where a nail will bend under stress. In a basement, it may not be that critical as it is going to be for finishing rather that structural.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I would recommend using 3" deck screws. Get em at Home Depot.

In some cases (like when the deck screws run out) i've used

3" drywall type, but only in emergencies. If its for a basement its not going to be load bearing anyway.

If you are doing ALLOT of framing, an air framer might be a better idea for you. (most likely rent the setup from Home Depot, or even buy a cheap porter cable setup) Dont forget about cutting that Wood. Make sure to have a miter saw handy.

You're still going to do some twisting with the wrist when driving in those screws. Again it all depends on how much you'll be doing down there.

Tom

snipped-for-privacy@> I am planning to finish out my basement, and would like to frame it out

instead

Reply to
Sexytom976

I would use coated deck screws, 3 or 3.5".

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Your wrist will take more abuse with a screw gun than a hammer. If you dont press hard, you strip the screws and that takes a lot of wrist power. Otherwise rent a nail gun.

Reply to
Gerry Atrick

For that set of limitations, I'd actually suggest looking into metal framing.

Reply to
Goedjn

Use a drill with a philips screwdriver bit. hold the drill against the screw and lean into it.

Reply to
TCS

Even better, use square drive screws; you don't have to push as hard.

I have a wrist problem too, and it is the impact rather than the push that hurts so I use screws instead of nails.

Reply to
Nick Hull

So to who am I a slave? That's ridiculous.

Reply to
Tellmeaboutit

Hey, it's almost April 15. Filed your taxes, yet?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon