Bathroom refit water leak

Hi we are having an ensuite bathroom replaced. After day one, the bloke left a weeping isolation valve. Overnight water has stained the ceiling of the room below. His initial reaction was ah yes these things happen. In principle, do you think he should be responsible for making good the stained ceiling?

Reply to
Gripper

"... and these things get sorted, by the person who left it like that..."

Reply to
jkn

"Principle" and "should" are well known concepts in the ArtStudent™ mind, that have no relevance in the real world.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

His actions damaged your property, so either he fixes it, of his insurance does.

Reply to
John Rumm

Refuse to pay him the last 10% for the refit until the ceiling is restored.

Reply to
Davey

Sounds like you wouldn't really want him to be responsible for anything that he might screw up ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

If that happened to me:

  1. I'd ask for a dehumidifier to dry out the room with the stained ceiling
  2. Request that 2 coats of Stainblock is applied around the entire stain plus some margin around the circumference
  3. Repaint the whole ceiling (you will see old and new paint easily even if the same colour)

Its the bathroom fitters responsibility to put it right, either via an insurance claim to his public liability insurance or for him to get in and pay proper decorators in to the repairs.

BTDTGTTS but in a slighting different context where a window cleaner was walking on a roof to clean the velux window. A tike cracked and then rain water got into the dining room.

Reply to
SH

As others have said, his responsibility.

That said, it shouldn’t take long - unless there is a lot of damage.

For reference, if the leak was small and all you have is a stain/ damp patch. Leave it to dry out- it will take several days. Then apply some stain block - available in a spray can - covering not just the stain but a good area around it- 6” at least. I recommend 2 or 3 coats min. Stain block is white, if the ceiling is white it may well blend in and the job is done. If not, a bit of paint may be required.

Stain block does as the name suggests, it ‘immobilises’ the stain which will spread otherwise if he simply tries to apply a water based paint, even if it covers initially. Some people us oil based paint but stain block is the stuff designed for the job.

Reply to
Brian

These things happen but mainly when a workman doesn't check his work throroughly afterwards. Of course he's liable. His work is a direct cause of unecessary damage.

Reply to
Pamela

Yes obviously. Bill

Reply to
wrights...

Yes. Though if his work is that slapdash, perhaps a payment so you can get it done properly might suffice. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Was it an isolation valve he fitted or was it a poor quality one previously fitted by someone else?

Reply to
alan_m

Many thanks for all the replies. alan-m - it was a previously fitted isolation valve , the downstream pipework was removed, and water seeped from there. It seems I had misinterpreted the fitter's reply - he wasn't trying to avoid making the damage good. Later on that day he checked the damp wasn't getting worse, and the day after painted the area and surrounds with stain block paint, and another two coats later. He plans to paint over with ordinary paint later. I should have tackled him about what he planned to do as soon as the damage was discovered but hadn't time. Thanks again

Reply to
Gripper