How to 'extend' radiator pipes after tiling bathroom

We have hot water radiant heat in our house. After having our bathroom re-= tiled, the radiator now sits 3/8" higher than previously so the two pipes c= oming out of the floor are 3/8" too short. I cannot remove the 3/4" steel = pipes, because I do not have access to the other ends. A male/female coupl= ing extends the pipe too much (about an inch) and I do not want to put the = radiator up on blocks. I also do not want to cut the legs of the radiator = to shorten it. Is it possible to cut the threads off of the supply and ret= urn pipes and place a brass (or steel) fitting on the end that is a compres= sion fitting for a 1" OD pipe and has a 3/4" NPT fitting on the other end?

Reply to
Tom

re-tiled, the radiator now sits 3/8" higher than previously so the two pip= es coming out of the floor are 3/8" too short. =A0I cannot remove the 3/4" = steel pipes, because I do not have access to the other ends. =A0A male/fema= le coupling extends the pipe too much (about an inch) and I do not want to = put the radiator up on blocks. =A0I also do not want to cut the legs of the= radiator to shorten it. =A0Is it possible to cut the threads off of the su= pply and return pipes and place a brass (or steel) fitting on the end that = is a compression fitting for a 1" OD pipe and has a 3/4" NPT fitting on the= other end?

gien the hazards of a leak i would get a insured professional HVAC company to make the modifications.... disassimiliar metals can cause troubles too, you might consider a new radiator they are thinner and look modern......

Reply to
bob haller

re-tiled, the radiator now sits 3/8" higher than previously so the two pip= es coming out of the floor are 3/8" too short. =A0I cannot remove the 3/4" = steel pipes, because I do not have access to the other ends. =A0A male/fema= le coupling extends the pipe too much (about an inch) and I do not want to = put the radiator up on blocks. =A0I also do not want to cut the legs of the= radiator to shorten it. =A0Is it possible to cut the threads off of the su= pply and return pipes and place a brass (or steel) fitting on the end that = is a compression fitting for a 1" OD pipe and has a 3/4" NPT fitting on the= other end?

Didn't you forsee this problem when you contracted to have the floor retiled? A competent tile person should have warned you of this problem.

Reply to
hrhofmann

re-tiled, the radiator now sits 3/8" higher than previously so the two pip= es coming out of the floor are 3/8" too short. =A0I cannot remove the 3/4" = steel pipes, because I do not have access to the other ends. =A0A male/fema= le coupling extends the pipe too much (about an inch) and I do not want to = put the radiator up on blocks. =A0I also do not want to cut the legs of the= radiator to shorten it. =A0Is it possible to cut the threads off of the su= pply and return pipes and place a brass (or steel) fitting on the end that = is a compression fitting for a 1" OD pipe and has a 3/4" NPT fitting on the= other end?

Use a masonry drill of the proper size to remove an appropriate amount of the tile from beneath where the "legs" of the radiator sit to lower the height of the radiator and match the pipes...

As others have mentioned this should have been a foreseeable issue during the remodel... The floor apparently is 3/8" higher now than it used to be, what about the transition to the room/hallway outside the bathroom, or is that covered by a large threshold ?

Reply to
Evan

re-tiled, the radiator now sits 3/8" higher than previously so the two pip= es coming out of the floor are 3/8" too short. =A0I cannot remove the 3/4" = steel pipes, because I do not have access to the other ends. =A0A male/fema= le coupling extends the pipe too much (about an inch) and I do not want to = put the radiator up on blocks. =A0I also do not want to cut the legs of the= radiator to shorten it. =A0Is it possible to cut the threads off of the su= pply and return pipes and place a brass (or steel) fitting on the end that = is a compression fitting for a 1" OD pipe and has a 3/4" NPT fitting on the= other end?

OP-

You write... "I cannot remove the 3/4" steel pipes, because I do not have access to the other ends."

Unless you're in an apt or multi-unit dwelling, access is downstairs or in the basement / crawl space. Even it you are in an apt or multi-unit dwelling, there's always access...it's just time & money.

Bite the bullet, make access from above or below and fix the pipe length.

This could have been done from inside the bathroom prior to the tiling job by cutting away the subfloor, shortening the pipe & re-threading in situ.

Still can be done from inside the bathroom but part of the new floor would need to be removed. :(

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

place a brass (or steel) fitting on the end that is a compression fitting f= or a 1" OD pipe and has a 3/4" NPT fitting on the other end?

Aren't those pipes going into the floor also threaded together...? -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

re-tiled, the radiator now sits 3/8" higher than previously so the two pip= es coming out of the floor are 3/8" too short. =A0I cannot remove the 3/4" = steel pipes, because I do not have access to the other ends. =A0A male/fema= le coupling extends the pipe too much (about an inch) and I do not want to = put the radiator up on blocks.

How much pipe is sticking out of the floor? You say you can't add a coupling because it would then be too long. But if there is enough pipe to work with, you could cut off some of the pipe, re-thread, then use the coupling, nipples, etc to make it back up. That assumes you have enough clearance from the wall for access.

Another option as someone else suggested might be to get a different radiator.

If you're not familiar with plumbing like this, I'd call in a pro. What you think is impossible they may be able to do in a couple hours.

Reply to
trader4

re-tiled, the radiator now sits 3/8" higher than previously so the two pip= es coming out of the floor are 3/8" too short. =A0I cannot remove the 3/4" = steel pipes, because I do not have access to the other ends. =A0A male/fema= le coupling extends the pipe too much (about an inch) and I do not want to = put the radiator up on blocks. =A0I also do not want to cut the legs of the= radiator to shorten it. =A0Is it possible to cut the threads off of the su= pply and return pipes and place a brass (or steel) fitting on the end that = is a compression fitting for a 1" OD pipe and has a 3/4" NPT fitting on the= other end?

Removing the tile where the radiator feet are located seems about the easiest and surest way to get things back to where they were.

Reply to
hrhofmann

om re-tiled, the radiator now sits 3/8" higher than previously so the two p= ipes coming out of the floor are 3/8" too short. =A0I cannot remove the 3/4= " steel pipes, because I do not have access to the other ends. =A0A male/fe= male coupling extends the pipe too much (about an inch) and I do not want t= o put the radiator up on blocks. =A0I also do not want to cut the legs of t= he radiator to shorten it. =A0Is it possible to cut the threads off of the = supply and return pipes and place a brass (or steel) fitting on the end tha= t is a compression fitting for a 1" OD pipe and has a 3/4" NPT fitting on t= he other end?

Another possibility would be to use the couplings that the OP talked about that result in the radiator being a bit high, then placing a piece of wood or similar under the radiator to raise it.

Reply to
trader4

re-tiled, the radiator now sits 3/8"

In all the years that I worked for a floor covering company we never had this problem. We never removed the radiators, we just raised them a half inch, installed the tile, and lowered them in place. Most pipes have enough gove to be raised that much.

Reply to
combotwin

om re-tiled, the radiator now sits 3/8" higher than previously so the two p ipes coming out of the floor are 3/8" too short.  I cannot remove the 3/4 " steel pipes, because I do not have access to the other ends.  A male/fe male coupling extends the pipe too much (about an inch) and I do not want t o put the radiator up on blocks.  I also do not want to cut the legs of t he radiator to shorten it.  Is it possible to cut the threads off of the supply and return pipes and place a brass (or steel) fitting on the end tha t is a compression fitting for a 1" OD pipe and has a 3/4" NPT fitting on t he other end?

Obviously this person didn't, so why do you make a ridiculous comment like this? To make yourself feel better?

Reply to
mp65

And your reason for chiming in on a 3½ year old post is? Feel better now?

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused