Windows 10 users - using edge? :)

MID:

You may be using edge without realizing you are, btw. Some software uses html to provide it's gui (Instead of actually having a real one) and doesn't use 'your' default browser to do it. Windows 10.. gotta love it. ROFL!

Diesel

Edge does not allow me to reply using Yahoo mail so I avoid it. Chrome does everything I need.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Nor is it compatible with many financial or credit cards sites. I've got Edge killed on my laptop.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

IE11 is part of Win10 as well - I use it for virtually everything. Occaisionally I use Firefox

Reply to
clare

I rarely use Windows but have a few Win7 machines that I decided to upgrade to Win10. Though MS said the offer for the free upgrade has expired, it's still good. Once the machines were upgraded, all was activated.

Reply to
philo

I use IE11 as well.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Holy shit. Six responses to my thread so far, and, not a single one understood what I was writing about. No wonder malware authors today have such a good time. They don't even have to worry about writing tight, efficient code anymore...Damn!

Reply to
Diesel

Did I lose you on the apps that render their GUI via the MS web browser?

Reply to
Diesel

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 19:22:55 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann wrote in

How do you do that? Remove it? Disable it?

Reply to
CRNG

I'm curious as well since Edge cannot be removed from the PC without deleting crucial files associated with the operating system.

Reply to
Meanie

Same here. Edge doesn't allow you to organize, manipulate bookmarks and it now stores them in a system type file that isn't human readable. I tried it for a few days and the drawbacks far outweighed any benefits, ie I've yet to have the need to mark up a webpage and send it to someone. I can see how that would be useful for some people, but not really for me. So, I too went with Chrome.

Reply to
trader_4

When I took the free Windows 10 upgrade it came with that annoying Edge browser and it wanted to default to it constantly. Finally Norton asked if I'd like to disable it permanently? YES!!

There are some discussion sites that will walk you through disabling it. I do not see it in my start-up menu nor programs installed on my laptop. All I know is I NEVER see it or get a pop-up wanting to start Edge and haven't seen it in a year and a half.

I'm a happy camper.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Ahh, ok. I also disabled mine but I was under the impression you deleted it based on your comment.

Thanks

Reply to
Meanie

You can default your browser to anyone you want. I use Firefox. Also under Win10 you can go back to last IE, I think 11. I had to do it to use script at remote site I connect to.

Reply to
Frank

We vALL understood what you were writing about. You were bitching about Edge. And you were pushing Chrome. (I personally dislike Chrome)

Reply to
clare

without

Ayep. Which is also the reason why I copied the post here. Edge does some rendering work for some applications that don't actually have 'code' for a GUI...As in, executable code.

This isn't new to Windows 10, though. Windows XP did it too. Norton Antivirus 2003 was a rocking example of what I'm writing about, too. it's gui, including the installer was html pages, rendered with the IE built into Windows XP. If something was wrong with IE, you couldn't actually complete the installation. Even if norton itself had no problems, you couldn't complete the install, because, it was dependant on IE doing the heavy lifting.

This concept does reduce development time and costs, since you don't have to write actual code for a GUI, but, it has the side effect of requiring the rendering engine you're using instead to be working correctly.

You can disable edge from being 'used' er, by you, to some level, but, it's not totally dead and you aren't going to actually remove it, either. Windows 10 depends on it for behind the scenes work that users typically don't give a second thought to. As is clearly obvious if you read the replies to this thread. Sheesh!

This is what happens when various companies with power elect to 'dumb down' the computers and convince users to treat them like they would, say, a toaster oven. Malware still requires the PEBKAC to do it's thing, most of the time. And, that's plentiful; Hell, it's more plentiful now than it ever was. Just take the replies in this thread for an example of it.

Reply to
Diesel

So you think it's gone then? :)

Oh, I suspect you have, without knowing it was edge....*sigh*

Ignorance is bliss so some tell me. Sometimes, I do wish I could be like them. I really do. I might be surprised more often.

Reply to
Diesel

Well, since you asked...

I have taught several university classes, per the request of the instructor/professor. As an expert guest on the subject. [g] It's not everyday you can get a published, internationally recognized, actual 'hacker' to attend your class and help educate the future. Not a script kiddie mind you, but, the real thing. ROFL!

Granted, they were specialized classes for very specific IT related concepts. So, the 'students' already had a general idea of the subject matter and I didn't have to hold their hands or use crayons. They understood the material well enough that I could get specific and actually use my time to teach them some finer details of it...Rather than explain, say, how some applications use Edge on Windows 10 to 'render' the GUI, because they don't actually have executable code for one. Like, oh, say, this topic.

Don't you have some prisoner to take your aggressions out on? A rough ride, cold shower, something along those lines mebbe? You know, you're field of 'expertise'

I bet you got off on beating up the smarter kids you went to school with too, right? Can't compete with them on functional brain matter, so you opted to show your physical power over some of them instead. Am I close? :)

Reply to
Diesel

Evidently, not. I was bitching about the blatent security/data leak risk MS knows it poses, from a malware authoring point of view, actually. I'd recommend in the future, you speak for yourself and only yourself. Keeps the chances of getting it wrong and looking like an idiot while doing so smaller. Just friendly advice.

I didn't use the word, Chrome in my 'bitching'. I don't even run Chrome. The url contents might have been 'pushing' it, but, *I* wasn't.

Oh, and, I don't care for Chrome, either. Not since I had to manually remove a hijacker from a copy, only to have it come right back when the great and uber powerful google resynched; thanks to them being logged into google and it literally, BACKING UP THE MALICIOUS script code.

Now, whenever I'm forced to deal with a chrome hijacking issue, I make damn sure the user isn't signed into google with it before I start! And , I disable the sync feature for plugins,addons, whatever chrome calls them these days; so when I'm done, google doesn't come right behind me and re-install it.

Reply to
Diesel

Nope, absolutely not, never, ever, ever see Edge. Never makes an appearance. You can set your browser to whatever you want. Just because Edge comes with W-10 doesn't mean it can't be disabled.

You're being arrogant so you should be blissfully happy.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann