Windows 10 'Permissions'

A friend has created a hobby based database, with various fields and the ability to add photos/images, but I cannot add images (jpg) and think the problem must be permissions.

The prog was initially installed under C > Program Files but didn't work, and the creator said I should instal under root C, but that didn't help, so now installed on E which is just a partition on the internal hard drive, usually used only for data i.e. spreadsheets, docs, images, mp3 etc.

When I right click, Properties on the main prog folder, attributes shows read only, so, click the box, click Apply, radio button shows apply to sub folders, click OK and properties shows Read Only as clear. Close Properties, open Properties again and attributes show as Read Only again.

When I open Properties/Security of Drive E, there are four Group or User Names, and all have all permissions (except Special Permissions) ticked on the left (Allow) and I must be within one of those four Group or User Names.

Any thoughts? I have exhausted my limited knowledge!

Reply to
Graeme

You're probably misunderstanding what windows file explorer shows

If explorer shows a square "tri-state" blob in the read-only attribute field it is *not* saying the folder is read only, it is basically saying "some of the files inside might be read-only but I haven't bothered looking"

you can put a tick in the box, or you can clear the box and then apply, that will alter the reado-only state of the individual files below, but it'll immediately go back to the "dunno" blob.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Is this a legacy piece of software, possibly not supported officially in Windows 10? Even on Windows 7 some software triggers a dialogue, there could be a problem granting write permissions for this file, and you get a choice, don't open, link to reasons and open anyway. I don't know enough about ten, but it could be something as silly as this, but its not showing the dialogue. I seem to recall you could tick a box, don't ask again so if somebody did this with an inappropriate choice, it might explain it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Read-Only bit on folders.

*******

Program Files is owned by TrustedInstaller. TrustedInstaller is not an account you can log into. TrustedInstaller is a token that comes from a particular service that has to be started, so the token can be copied.

Thus, if a program comes as a .msi file, then the OS uses msiexec.exe to unpack it, and the TrustedInstaller service runs and msiexec gets the token from that, to do the installation.

Programs that don't come with installers, the user is put at a giant disadvantage in terms of automation.

Yes, people make portable programs, and the beauty of those is they contain all the resources they need inside a single file. For example, the hex editor I use, is a portable and is a single file.

To launch a program from the Command Prompt, the program has to be in the "executable path". It's in the environment settings. For example, to add Ghostscript gswin32.exe to a computer, requires adding the GhostScript folder path to the path variable. Then you can type "gswin32" in Command Prompt, and it will work.

Whereas programs can also be launched by double-clicking with the mouse. You could probably do that on E:\ if you want. That's for programs which open their own window. When you write programs, each of these programs is a slightly different type. The program with a window of its own, has an event handler loop for example. Visual Studio has templates for the various program types, to make this "easy".

*******

The database itself is probably implementing "internal permissions"

and is stopping the operation from happening. It's less likely to be an NTFS filesystem problem. It really depends on what kind of database this is - databases can hold arbitrary binary blobs, if the designer wants. They can hold just about anything, but that may also make them hard to backup or use.

*******

A standard warning on this topic. Databases tend to break (corrupt). To back up a database, you want the database software shut down ("Quit") so that the database is no longer "Open". Then, you can take a copy and put it on an external drive for later. If you do this every day, you'll never lose more than a days work. There can be a program (an EXE) as well as a data file (a .dat or something). It's that .dat or similar, which has your hundreds of hours of work in it. Make sure you understand what scheme it used, so you back up the part that counts! I would hope the user manual for the product, would have a section on "doing backups" to help you.

People tell me stories about these great databases they'd used, they put all their movies in them, then the computer eats the database and destroys all their work. No, I don't enjoy stories like that, because these situations can be covered by backups. But only backups that are done properly (database in shutdown state). Databases are a bit annoying, because they don't necessarily quiesce when commanded by another piece of software.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Ah! Thanks Andy. Quite correct, I was misunderstanding.

Reply to
Graeme