Replacing old burner seal

I've got an ancient Potterton Kingfisher 2, due to be replaced in a year.

The plumber told me that the burner seals (ie for the front cover to the burner) need replacing.  It looks like it's just undoing 4 screws and then putting the new seal / ceramic rope into the slot.  Is it a simple 2 minute DIY job or is something for a professional?

Reply to
Jedzi

I am not familiar with that particular boiler, but for some makes and models you can get a seal kit that includes all the bits that need to be replaced. You would need to look at the service manual for the procedure.

Note that on some boilers there are steps which may be non obvious. So for example on my Vaillant to replace the seal you need to open the combustion chamber, which means disconnecting a gas pipe. Replacement requires you use new nuts for fixing the burner back (they are "one time" anti vibration nuts), and a new fibre washer in the gas union.

Reply to
John Rumm