Re: Building Physicist

In the American system they are called civil engineers.

Reply to
rick++

civil engineering is roads, sewers, water ... public infrastructure... it only sees a building in the drainage, soil conditions studies necessary for structural engineers to design the foundations etc and preclude such things as landslides.

civil engineering does not get into building structures or its plumbing/ electrical or hvac at all

Having said that ive seen ads such as :

Need enginner to design electronics controls systems for large buildings... degree in civil, mechanical, or structural engineering required.

those sorts or ads are placed by idiots.

Phil scott

Reply to
phil scott

That's how the selection criteria are formed in our lab sometimes. It is like: "The applicant will have a PhD in Electrical Engineering, and all of his experience should be in Mechanical Engineering". I believe this is done to cull down on the number of applicants. And then the local guy from the next room is hired into the position who had no stinkin' PhD. That's what happened in our lab recently.

Reply to
Beladi Nasrallah

That's how the selection criteria are formed in our lab sometimes. It is like: "The applicant will have a PhD in Electrical Engineering, and all of his experience should be in Mechanical Engineering". I believe this is done to cull down on the number of applicants. And then the local guy from the next room is hired into the position who had no stinkin' PhD. ==================================== LOL

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Sounds like the last couple of Dilberts. Yesterday Catbert wrote job requirements of an I.Q. of 300, two centuries of UNIX experience, and a track record of winning Nobel Prizes. Today he got such a candidate (thanks to the time machine and immortality drug the candidate invented) and Catbert called him "too old".

Cheers, Russell

Reply to
Russell

Sounds like the last couple of Dilberts. Yesterday Catbert wrote job requirements of an I.Q. of 300, two centuries of UNIX experience, and a track record of winning Nobel Prizes. Today he got such a candidate (thanks to the time machine and immortality drug the candidate invented) and Catbert called him "too old". ========================================== History repeats itself....lol

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Michael. Your new method of quoting sucks. Thought you'd like to know.

RicodJour

You assume I don't?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

It's Outlook Express, even Microsoft knows it:

?kbid=168779 a third party fix if you insist on using Outlook Express:
Personally, I use Thunderbird.

Reply to
Rusty

Yeah, I saw that Dilbert cartoon. Actually, in the case of the selection criteria "PhD in Elec Eng + exp in Mech Eng", I asked the guy on the selection board why they put such a strange selection criterion. I got answer that this was the description of the skillset of the guy who occupied this position before and who left for greener pastures. He obtained a PhD in Elec Eng, and then worked in Mech Eng. They just wanted a replacement of him :-) ...

Reply to
Beladi Nasrallah

OK.,.. look. Rico is here.... ask him for advice. hes a good man.

Phil scott

Reply to
phil scott

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

hello rico.,.. you and i used to post on alt construction,...so what brings you here? you have a phd. wouldnt surprise me.

so look, whats yer prognosis on the fix em business and the banks etc.

Here is a video for you

Phil Scott

Reply to
phil scott

Thanks very much for the link. I'll use the add on as I like using one agent for mail and news. Let's see if it works....Pat?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

You'd think it would have less painful to keep his grass green...

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

oted text -

a recent client (in deep deep trouble with contractors on a good sized job) told me that they don't see why the hell they cant just hire a guy to negotiate solutions.......no need for the guy to do any research on the technical details....'its just a negotiation skills and experience issue'..... and they dont see how system design, local conditions, or any sort of power the contractor might have is relevant.

absolutely stunning..... aint it.

Phil scott

Reply to
phil scott

Since you and Rusty seem to be knowledgeable about browsers, perhaps you can solve my problem. In thunderbird, clicking on a URL no longer results in being brought into Firefox to that site. Now I am stuck with tedious cut and paste

Reply to
++

I've got no experience with it....you've check the settings sections, of course?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

On 02 Mar 2008, ++ wrote

The link is a Windows registry rather than a program-specific thing

-- "all links open in X", rather than "Thunderbird points to browser X".

Have you inadvertently "unmade" Firefox as your default browser? (Or Windows might have done it all on its own; it sometimes likes to screw around with your head like that, just for fun...)

Try unregistering Firefox and then re-designating it as your default. (Open Internet Explorer and make that your default; then open FF; have it check if it's the default again -- Tools>Options>General; close it; and try a link from Thunderbird.)

If that doesn't work, I know of a freebie utility that forces the default to be made which might be worth a last-ditch try.

Reply to
HVS

Historian *and* IT guy! How do you spell renaissance?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

On 03 Mar 2008, Michael Bulatovich wrote

I spell it "S-E-L-F-E-M-P-L-O-Y-E-D". :))

Reply to
HVS