Blocks: what are they called

I need to add an additional leaf to a wall in the garage and want to add some insulation at the same time. Can someone tell me what the blocks with foam insulation on one side are called please.

TIA.

Well, not really. They don't have foam insulation on one side. In fact, I don't believe such a product exists.

Reply to
Grunff

It certainly did, but has the serious disadvantage of leaving the joints uninsulated. As long as the OP doesn't live in a very exposed area I would use Rockwool cavity batts between the existing wall and new inner skin. Alternatively making the new inner skin of timber stud and plasterboard, insulated between studs.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

|Alex wrote: |> Thermalite | |Well, not really. They don't have foam insulation on one side. In fact, |I don't believe such a product exists.

Well I have seen, but not used, blocks with insulation, which looked like foam on one side.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Thanks for the responses.

They're not Thermalite: I used some of those 20+ years ago!

I've seen the ones with the foam on one side: that's how I knew they existed. Just don't have a name for them.

The wall's not going to be too exposed. I'm creating a cloakroom out of a store that was previously accessed from the garage and that will now be accessed through a freshly prepared hole into the house. I need to get some insulation on what was the garage/store single leaf wall.

That may be the way to go - thanks.

What thickness plasterboard though?

And do I use the same for ceiling and walls?

Tarmac used to make them, but ISTR that they have stopped as they cannot assist in compliance to new Part L.

Thermalite do not have insulation on, they are insulating blocks made from aerated concrete.

I would use either a) crownwool batts (dritherm) or b) insulated plasterboard.

If you want to fix to the internal skin, remember that insulated board means longer fixings

HTH

SalesGuy

Reply to
salesguy