OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

Was he multiplying a force by the distance from a fulcrum?

Reply to
Max Demian

Given the prevalence of US spud butts, no thanks.

Reply to
rbowman
[snip]

"What time is it in 10 minutes?" (something I often want to know, often when cooking something that takes 10 minutes).

Reply to
Sam E

On Jun 18, 2021 at 12:22:22 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote snipped-for-privacy@ryzen.lan:

Better than Carroll who asks what COLOR the day is. Huh? OK, I never actually spent the time to look up what he meant, but apparently each day does have a color in Thai astrology.

Starting at Sunday the colors are: Red, Yellow, Pink, Green, Orange, Light Blue, and Purple.

Reply to
Snit

On Jun 19, 2021 at 8:42:55 AM MST, "notX" wrote <3gozI.62124$ snipped-for-privacy@fx39.iad:

Not hard to do in your head 3 * 2 = 6, 6 squared = 36.

Reply to
Snit
[snip]

For some people, the hardest thing may be figuring out what the ! is.

BTW, I'd like to say "! does not mean 'bell'" because that sounds mysterious.

BTW2, that equation did remind me of the 3-way switch thread (36 ways to connect it).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

On Jun 19, 2021 at 9:27:56 AM MST, ""Rod Speed"" wrote snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>:

You can set up shortcuts and the like for Alexa. I think that includes a timer like that.

Reply to
Snit

What is odd is that we feel the need to make a distinction. All we're saying is there is a smaller quantity of the stuff.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Thanks, you just got this stuck in my head again:

one notice he's hired a drummer that looks like Kurt Cobain?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Does anyone ever say uninflammable? Or unflammable?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

And flammable means able to burn or ignite, so the same thing exactly.

I've never known anyone think inflammable means not flammable.

I would have thought it was no exit too. I guess most partial German speakers could make that mistake. The picture usually helps though.

Probably came from the days of the war.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Making sure who didn't f*ck who?

When I were a lad, one of my friends f***ed the French assistant, in the swimming pool. For some reason they felt the need to empty the whole pool and sterilize it!

They're harder to read in France because they're all upper case. The UK uses lower case which is faster to read. From a quick google it looks like the USA hasn't invented lower case yet either.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I go by blue and red. I also don't care what temperature the water is. I can never remember which one "should" be on the right, but what annoys me is fancy kitchen taps where the mixer tap has a cold on one side, facing the opposite way to the hot on the other side. Instead of making them both anticlockwise to turn off, one is the other way round, so it's forwards for both to turn off. I often think I'm shutting off the water and end up soaking the floor.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You big girl's blouse.

I once stopped on a French motorway (one of the toll ones with better services), and was pleased to find an outdoor shower at the side of the car park. I stripped naked and took a shower, only to find many spectators appearing. Maybe even the French keep their underwear on?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I would buy one just to cause a disturbance.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

On Jun 19, 2021 at 10:33:35 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote snipped-for-privacy@ryzen.lan:

Not that I can recall.

Reply to
Snit

Vauxhall/Opel/GM had a Nova too. It was equally s**te. My colleague had one 20 years ago, he was giving me a lift and it stopped because it was raining heavily. He also couldn't persuade it to exceed 75mph.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

On Jun 19, 2021 at 10:38:14 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote snipped-for-privacy@ryzen.lan:

Officially to keep the teens in line. They were no problem. We also went with adults -- they paid extra so the kids could pay less, a necessary evil. Some were unbelievably bad and made me understand why the French hate Americans so much. One woman got the Chili Oil at a pizza place and started putting it on herself for a sunburn, then got mad at the restaurant when it hurt. She also bit into the pit of an olive and threatened to sue -- they should have warned her that olives have pits. It was non-stop. I ended up working more with the adults.

They do not generally even do that when someone poops in it.

They used to be, but after studies showed it was detrimental they have gone to using upper and lower case letters.

Reply to
Snit

On Jun 19, 2021 at 10:26:41 AM MST, ""Rod Speed"" wrote snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>:

Alexa certainly is limited, and often just starts babbling. You ask for a timer and it tells you it is setting it, sometimes even to the right time, and then wants to tell you all about its new timer features.

We only have one device, and it is one of the older, cheaper ones. Someone got it for us -- doubt we would have gotten it ourselves, but I will say it comes in handy in the kitchen for timers. When it works.

Reply to
Snit

A perfect number squared.

Reply to