OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

Which of course 'Reliant Robins' still do exist as much as they ever did, it's the existence of 'Robin Reliants' I was questioning and you seemed to know about?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

There's a very good mathematical explanation for this:

Fredxx

One of the most common errors around here. Also mixing up breath (as in take a breath) and breathe (as in breathe freely).

Reply to
Sam E

In this group the euphemism is 'f****ng moron'.

Reply to
rbowman

So if I told you to drive to Melbourne and you didn't drive, you wouldn't have the sense to take a bus?

No I wouldn't. It's always been click. Touchscreens are a new thing.

Words have to be longer to be unique.

Bollocks. I detest the pathetic ones. You can't say someone is pathetic for hating what pathetic people do.

No, it's just wrong. What if I told you to heat down your food, or cool it up in the fridge?

You can look a geek in the eyes and not feel that desire?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Heads up.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Commentator instead of commenter.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Do some actually believe that can be true?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 15:48:27 -0500, Kelly Phillips posted for all of us to digest...

+1
Reply to
Tekkie©

For sure. He can decide it was the hardest, and I'm not challenging that. But no way is that obvious to the people he's talking to.

He didn't mean that it was obvious to himself.

Reply to
micky

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 19:58:01 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to digest...

I had a collection too. I have found that when one leaves it is quickly replaced by another of lesser ability. I compare it to a staircase - it only goes down.

Reply to
Tekkie©

For practical purposes...

Reply to
rbowman

Inverted Peter Principle?

Reply to
rbowman

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 15:03:17 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

Good analogy. On second thought some do rise to mismanagement. Dilbert bears a mention with the pointy haired boss.

Reply to
Tekkie©

I'm reading a novel by Francis Porretto in which the protagonist asks his boss 'How badly to I have to screw up a project to never get promoted to management?'

I know the feeling. Theoretically I am a manager but everyone I'm supposed to manage has been diverted to another project and I'm happy as a clam doing actual programming.

Reply to
rbowman

Exactly. I would much rather *do* something (produce something) than watch and manage other people doing it. And any job which involves spending a large part of each day in meetings with other people would be my idea of hell: my definition of a meeting is a means of getting more work dumped on me after the meeting than I had before it, but then "imprisoning" me in the meeting room while everyone else waffles on, preventing me from actually working on that increased workload.

I'm very much a details person: I would rather get on and make *something* (even if that something is the wrong thing) than spend all day discussing what the right thing is to do without actually making anything (even the wrong thing). I find it very hard to stand back and take an overall "helicopter view", mainly because doing so bores me rigid: I'm itching to get into the details.

Reply to
NY

In what kind of work are you engaged?

Reply to
~BD~

Jabbed instead of vaccinated - presumably, a tabloid sub-editor's term to assist those readers too stupid to cope with words of more than one syllable.

Elderly - makes me grind my teeth. Why not just say "old"?

Passed away, passed on, passed over or left us. FFS, if you mean died, say so!

Reply to
Scribbles

Never work on a DoD project. You'll spend a year or more talking about what you're going to do before doing something. When you finally get around to doing it, if you discover problems you're going to to what was decided anyway because of all the ego involvement.

That process brought us the F-35, Zumwalt, and the matched pair of LCS turkeys.

I quit after 6 months of meetings and thumb twiddling and move on to a real project.

Reply to
rbowman

I say jabbed (or jagged) because it's a horrid thing to have done to you. I ain't getting a piece of steel shoved into my insides. You want something inside me, give me a tablet.

Indeed. It used to be worse. "My elder brother". The word elder always makes me think of a tree.

Tha Aussies call their parents "olds" which is amusing.

I must admit I use those, for example when my neighbour's elderly (ROFL) brother died. I wanted to show I was being polite, without having to bother with a long sentence describing my feelings.

Not sure why religious people care about death, aren't you meant to get another one like in a computer game?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey