OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

Tucker Carlson

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

why this bias against owners of Robin Reliants?

Reply to
tim...

"Price point" instead of "price."

Reply to
Wade Garrett

They have different meanings and not interchangeable. I guess many don't know that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Then there's the odd character about that writes a statement in sentences that end with a question mark?

Sometimes several in one short posting?

[You see what I did there?]
Reply to
Spike

It's the same bias as I have against owners of Escort Fords.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

But a NG _IS_ a discussion forum. Would you prefer, "Agora"?

Reply to
gareth evans

I think its the weird way of using old words. Our vision is that this will inform our policies toward carbon neutrality. Ie lots of word to say, lets see if we can do it on the cheap, but I also get annoyed by politicians dressing up things as something else. We were at that time blind to this. Instead of, I cocked it up cos I never read the memo, and in any case why is blind used in that context? Blind is simply in the lack of sight. I mean blind drunk, Blind faith, blind alley??

I also get annoyed with a gradual change to the names of organisations for blind people calling themselves. Vision Australia, or London Vision, or Vision foundation etc, Vision loss is fine, but these organisations sound like some kind of hippy think tank, not a charity to help blind people, what is wrong with blind, or vision loss or partially sighted??

Nothing, its yet another buzz word in the war for being noticed, but now everyone has done it they all sound the same again!

The word Overarching seems to have been created in the last 15 years or so. Strange nebulous word.

My mission statement is to restore plain speaking... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I don't tap or click my computer I operate it with the keyboard. I get annoyed by sites that say for more info tap here, then hide it way down the tab order in a page so you loose the will to live trying to focus it to operate it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Don't worry, I won't like you any fewer anyway. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Why is there no word as morer? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

On Jun 11, 2021 at 5:58:03 AM MST, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote <w5JwI.12371$ snipped-for-privacy@fx11.iad:

Those on the left tend to use more sources, and the sources they use tend to be more accurate.

Those on the right tend to seek out less reliable sources -- hence why Fox is both the least reliable network AND the most trusted.

Reply to
Snit

Saying less when they mean fewer is annoying to me. My local news makes that mistake almost daily. "Less people attended the art festival this year." Less people? WTH is that? Amputees? They mean fewer people, of course, but it annoys me that I have to mentally translate.

Also, orientated instead of oriented, or drownded instead of drowned.

Reply to
Kelly Phillips

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 08:46:33 +0100, Andy Bennet posted for all of us to digest...

In the final analysis.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 10:13:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to digest...

Profit & mark up.

Reply to
Tekkie©

Are they the same as Ford Escorts?

Reply to
ARW

On Jun 11, 2021 at 4:08:16 AM MST, "Buck Fiden" wrote snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Why focus on the left when Fox is the least reliable... but also the most trusted (conservatives seek out unreliable sources to trust).

Reply to
Snit

It's not the disabled who wantb other terms. It's those who "feel" for them.

Reply to
charles

on 6/10/2021, micky supposed :

Yes, different from is 'more better' than ( <===another pet peeve, than/that ) the other one. Maybe 'more better' is similar to what Rod was thinking about - 'more' modifier is completely unneeded superflouos and pretty ( <=== another one ) redundant even though better is not actually a superlative.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Glory be. I find myself in complete agreement with T r o l l, in this instance. I'd better take an aspirin and have a lie down.

Reply to
Tim Streater