OT: VE day warplanes

Because if you are rushed into hospital in a comatose state and they want to give you a certain drug, they can check whether or not it'll kill you.

Excellent idea.

Reply to
Conor

If their speed drops to the stall speed of the aircraft, they ain;t going to be gliding anywhere.

Reply to
Conor

What happens when you loose your passport, drivers licence or company photo ID card for example ?....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Why not use everyone's medical number as their identifier, tattoo it somewhere easily accessible but not too obvious and then all the medics need to do is to enter it into the computer to bring up the person's details.

Reply to
Brimstone

buildings

The real Hero's are then one that know what they might crash onto and deliberately go about avoiding it despite the fact that in doing so they are killing themselves. Yet many of those people just get forgotten about or even blamed - dead people can't talk and all that....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Quite. Or as Douglas Adams once said "The art of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss".

Reply to
Brimstone

If you loose one you are asked to provide one of the others as proof of identity.

Reply to
Depresion

Definitely.

I've never understood how that many people can have a speech impediment.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Conor popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said

If they are high though they have a chance of diving straight down to increase speed to above stalling speed (pretty piss poor pilot that gets that slow[when not landing]) what is more likely to happen is entering a spin which takes altitude to correct. Note this is very simplified.

Reply to
soup

You must be thinking about the flying fortress. I saw something in the paper about it being classed as the same as a 747 in regards to insurance.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

But not the only one with an ID card. I have one for the other country where I live. As I said before, the main use of it is to create a new crime "not holding an ID card" which is arrestable. So the police can run in anyone not in possession of an ID card.

This power is used almost exclusively to hassle students, drinkers, non-nationals, anyone who isn't white, etc, etc.

I don't see that we should have that here, and I certainly don't think that biometric data is the way to go. It's bollocks anyway, because there won't be a roadside check of biometric data.

In fact what will happen, and the government is playing coy about it, is that an "authorised person" (the ID card bill is a little vague about who is authorised) can have you whipped away from what you are doing if they suspect that the ID card is not yours and you are then forced to wait while your biometric data is collected, digitized and compared with that on the card.

In trials this process is failing, badly.

It's all bollocks, companies like IBM want it so they can charge the gummint big dollars, it will be yet another white elephant but at the same time it is a serious infringement of civil liberties.

All those who want ID cards and totalitarian government and free to piss off to China or North Korea any time they like.

Reply to
Steve Firth

"nightjar .uk.com>" >>

How can you do that ? (short of replacing every aluminium strut in which case you are effectively building a new aircraft)

Reply to
Mike

Indeed. Something else for which we must thank Brussels.

Somewhat ironic really, I didn't notice occupied Europe demanding such restrictions back in 39-45.

__ Richard Buttrey Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK __________________________

Reply to
Richard Buttrey

In my not inconsiderable experience of aircraft maintenance of more than

25 years, I can tell you that there are at least 3 levels of maintenance.

Level 1. Routine maintenance and up-keep is done to the book. If the book is up to standard, then it that is just good luck.

Level 2. Maintenance is conducted to military standard and there is a solid back-up system in place, so that any fault starts a search for any related problems.

Level 3. The Queens flight standard has a system in place that questions any and every fault that happens on any aircraft in the flight. Any work that is done to a Queens flight is inspected to the highest degree.

I know for a fact, after closely examining these aircraft, that the Memorial Flight is maintained to at least level 2, so I would not worry if it came low over your house. Or, even more importantly, my house, which they do every time they visit the North West.

Can you now define what you consider to be old about these aircraft?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I think you are thinking about 1990s sensors. Modern sensors measure things like combustion chamber pressure and will notice any misfiring long before a human will notice. Wear on almost every major component is automatically logged. Don't think your average Spitfire pilot (who although extremely brave probably was still learning combat flying 'on the job' and certainly wasn't that skilled in engine department.)

Then what is ? Daytime population of Melbourne (when PA and TTP staff are at work) is possibly 10,000.

Unfortunately military aircraft are exempt from any rules, just like police cars. Fortunately they do seem to have a slightly lower accident rate than the police though.

If they're in open countryside where game is hunted just shoot them down. They know they shouldn't be there.

Reply to
Mike

I think all the latest ones have it fitted (or at least a recommended option). Though I agree this wasn't the case in 2001.

They are in the immediate vicinity of the airstrip, just not on the approach. Before the Duxford air show each year there are all sorts of nonsense going on as they practice their displays and this appears to include buzzing the local villages. I have looked down on them passing several times.

Reply to
Mike

You must live in a 2 skinned combi cardboard box to say that. I have experienced them fly over a hangar that I was stood in and the sound was nowhere near the volume of the fast jets that flew from this place. To say that there was any vibration would be to tell a lie.

As an aside.

A few years ago, we had a German working party in the hangar when the BoBMF was due to land. The boss of the German working party got wind of the landing time and was stood outside the hangar door, which were wide open at the time. When the flight did a fly past, he turned and ran back to let his mates know that it was here, only to have one wag shout....

'Look at that, they are still s**t scared of them now.'

Ah! Happy days.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

High flying planes crash less often because they are a) newer b) flying at a sensible cruising speed c) not performing show-off maneouvers

Reply to
Mike

Pulsed injection ? Oval pistons ? Pneumatic valves ?

Reply to
Mike

The same for citizens of (distant) German descent. Innocent individuals, including Amish and Hatterites were locked in concentration camps alongside those of Japanese descent. Again the information used was the same and the reason was no more tangible than fear.

Although the US has apologised to those of Japanese escent since (big deal) it refuses to even contemplate apologising to those of German descent.

Reply to
Steve Firth