OT: VE day warplanes

Abnd sadly their first generation descendants are happy to throw away the freedoms that those individuals fought and died for.

Coming soon, biometric identity cards more restrictive of your liberty than anything dreamed up by the fascists. You've already lost the basic rights to a fair trial for many offences and Duhg and people like him think you should lose the presumption of innocence for many more offences.

Reply to
Steve Firth

That's a bit far fetched, I've never understood why a law-abiding citizen would object to an ID card, especially one based on multiple biometrics. It will provide a wide range of benefits and help in the battle against the bad guys - how does it restrict your freedoms?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Was this in Cambridge? I saw them fly past around 2:30 pm ish

Reply to
Richard Bullock

ID card's won't help in the fight against crime or terrorism, they didn't stop the bombings in Madrid despite Spain having compulsory ID cards for years. They are supposedly irrefutable proof of identity so as soon as they are cracked (and the early prototypes were beaten within 2 hours) then the "bad guys" could easily forge anyone's identity.

Reply to
Depresion

You are right all the monitoring is done by mechanical means and a highly evolved life form. Even the German aircraft used basically the same system despite using more advance FI engines giving there plains more manoeuvrability before the engines would cut out (quite common on our carbed planes during dog fights).

Reply to
Depresion

In article , Richard Bullock writes

Just over Trumpington south side of Cambridge, slightly to the west..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Martin writes

Electronics aside, most of today's 'advanced' engine features were tried and tested before powered flight even existed.

Reply to
Marshall Rice

I'm not aware of any electrionic monitoring system on a modern Piper PA28 or a Cessna C172 either.

It may appear to be that low from the ground, but I doubt that it is except in the immediate vicinity of the airport.

Reply to
Cynic

But if based on MULTIPLE biometrics cracking is less of a problem. They will help fight against fraud, reduce the number of bits of plastic or paper we need and, when coupled with RFID technology, help the disabled and elderly (we're all getting older!) to access the information society and reduce the amount of info we need to remember. All-in-all I think they will be an enabler for a large number of improvements. Where's the downside?

Reply to
Dave

The fact that they're not voluntary. If you want to reduce the bits of paper or plastic you carry, great, go ahead and pay for an ID card. I'd rather stick with the current system - if it's a little inconvenient for some people, tough. I have no problem using my passport as ID at an NHS surgery or a bank, but they can f*ck right off if they want my fingerprints and an iris scan. Fortunately, there are enough sensible people in this country to make it difficult for the government of the day to impose ID cards on us - we're well renowned for having a healthy disdain towards unwelcome authority.

Reply to
Robert Campbell

The ID cards that were cracked were biometric the only way to make them more secure would be to make live checks to the main database, considering how reliable the government IT projects are that's hardly reasuring.

How will they help reduce the number of bits of paper and plastic we need? They won't replace bank cards and the only bit of paper I normally carry is my drivers licence, you will still need your passport when going aboard so it's just going to be another card we will need to carry, with the disadvantage that if you forget it and get stopped by the police you are in a lot of trouble.

I can't see how you expect it to help the disabled or elderly gain access to the information society when most libraries offer internet access as it is.

They won't enable people to do anything[1] simply restrict what we already have.

[1] With the exception of enabling the police to arrest you for forgetting your wallet.
Reply to
Depresion

It becomes very dangerous when the "good guys" turn into "bad guys". The law-abiding German people had no objection to having all their details available to the governement of the time. They had nothing to hide, and so had nothing to fear. Obviously.

Reply to
Cynic

A law abiding citizen should object to it because it simply isn't needed. Given sufficiently rigorous protocols for checking source documentation, there is absolutely no reason why additional card is needed. And without them, as the LSE has pointed out in its response to the govcernment's proposals, an ID card will make us less safe. What it will do is reverse the presumption of innocence so that you will be required to present it when any idle state-employed jobsworth demands it or face or face a fixed penalty fine. You will be fined £2,500 if you decline to pay the government for one and you will be fined £1,000 if you fail to notify the state of a chnage in address, change in appearance or medical condition that might impact the biometric measurements. Think of the revenue with state will raise from blind people undergoing laser eye therapy!

This is all assuming that the government doesn't become more repressive. A vain hope. We already have a suspension of habeus corpus; the government may imprison anyone it likes without having to go through the due process of a trial. The Nazi state knew where to go to round up the Jews as it was recorded on the Weimar identity register.

If the government's proposals are just about establishing identity, why is widespread integration of the identity register with criminal and medical databases being considered? If we implement ID cards then we will be the only common law country to have done so outside war time. If the government really wanted to make us safer then it would spend the the 30 billion that this project will undoubted end up costing on security measures that would make a difference.

Reply to
Harry the Horse

The downside happens when the government decides to abuse the power that the information gives it.

Reply to
Cynic

The current uniforms are nicer than the Nazi's black. A bit brutal I thought.

Reply to
Brimstone

But we're only just getting there with our own governemnt, if decent people allow it.

Reply to
Brimstone

And not lead free, at that...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"QUIS CUSTODIES CUSTODIET?"

Just imagine...

I buy a cat stevens record. I stop to eat at a Iranian cafe.And pay by credit card I have Iranian relatives. By marriage. I like fireworks and buy some from Kimbolton fireworks using my credit card. I get some flying lessons with my credit card. Out of sheer curiousity I buy a copy of the Q'ran with my credit card. I have been noted on the Usenet violently opoposiong both Zionisim and Neo conservatism. And Bush and Blair personally

I end up in jail with no trial... Think again.

I'd rather have international terrorism than all the details of my private life, and all my financial transactions and movements on view to a government that I trust slightly less than Osama bin Laden.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Quite right, Like car tax and MOT's and insurance, and speed cameras, and even car number plates, it simply adds to the burden of the law abiding whilst having no impact whatsoever on those who have decided to live and operate outside its scope.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yeh but without that we would never have all those shots of half rolls and inverted dives as they yelled 'Tally Ho'

Pilots soon learnt to avoid negative G manouvers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher