Interesting afternoon

So the upstairs bath was moved into position. In a fairly tight alcove so kindly envisage a portly elderly person adjusting the support legs!

This led on to final assembly of the wall mounted taps and spout. I suppose it is too much to expect the manufacturer to check if the spout points down when assembled and provide a suitably sized spacer to compensate? Anyway the first attempt ended with the spout pointing to the ceiling (ARW on a slow day). Back out and lots more thread tape. This time it got to about 4 o'clock, tempting me to apply a little more leverage.

Extracting the broken threaded sleeve was easy compared to finding a suitable threaded insert which could be soldered into the nicely chromed but very thin brass spout. (old fashioned tap connector, turned down to a sliding fit and the thread built up with a soldered on sleeve)

I have taken the opportunity to shorten the spout as it offers lots of leverage to unwary children.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

For some reason your account reminds me of Hoffnung's account of the barrel of bricks.

Chris Hogg

I quite like 'Foliac Threadseal PH' as then you can easily have things pointing where you like (and not have them leak / damaged). ;-)

Spacers can still be needed if aesthetics are important etc.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , Chris Hogg writes

Thank you:-) Helped by the reader applying their imagination to probable events?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , T i m writes

The concern about this particular tap is the buried nature leading to worries about access for future maintenance. I'm trying to balance leak proof, serviceable and not vulnerable to experimentation by grandchildren.

Yes. Today I'll find out if my bodge is stronger than the original. Cautiously!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I bought a pair of Bristan 1901 bib taps and upstands. One tap was getting snut with about 10 deg. to go, so OK; the oter tap was close to 180 deg. out! Swapped them and they were both out by the same ammount but too far to tighten. Found a couple of white nylon washers of the correct thichness to allow the 'adjustment' to be done with tape. Trimmed around to reduce the washer to the same size as the flange. Not too bad; could be better.

The lot cost about £90 around 5 years ago froma plumbers' merchant; retail more like £150. At that price I too would expect the threads to be tapped for fitting.

Reply to
PeterC

I was just thinking the same. Unfortunately it seems the designers of plumbing items seldom consider anything other than the situation you see in the glossy brochures for their use. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I too have a pack of Nylon washers having been unable to source fibre washers of the correct size. One consolation is that the spout is not having to withstand mains pressure and self drains as mentioned earlier. A degree of nervousness is that leaks will not be visible: buried in a studwork wall:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb