Cleaning paving

Hi Folks,

I would like to clean a build up of moss off my patio area, I have a power-washer to do the final clean but it has struggled in the past with some of the larger build up of moss in some areas. Can anyone recommend any of the cleaning agents that you water/brush on and leave to dry or are they a much-of-a-muchness? I'm not bothered by whether it is 'organic' or 'chemical-free' or any of that nonsense, I just want something that works.

Cheers.

Reply to
Endulini

Assuming you are happy to go around with a stiff brush afterwards, Jeyes fluid works well to kill moss though its odour does offend some.

Once the thick of it is off you can then power wash.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Armillotox.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

scrape it off.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

.. with the kind of flexible "paint scraper" used for decorating. That's what I do (before pressure washing).

J.

Reply to
Another John

In message , Another John writes

That sounds back breaking and tedious. I stand, and use a garden hoe to get rid of the majority, then Jeyes to kill the remainder.

Reply to
Graeme

The cheapest of malt vinegar will kill it. Use a garden sprayer and leave for a couple of days before trying to remove the dead/dying moss Repeat if it rains. Malt vinegar approx 40p/lire aldi/Lidl and possibly a similar price in other supermarkets. (Tesco £1 for 2L)

Reply to
alan_m

The power washer will do everything. It will come back in a year whatever you do.

Reply to
harry

On this very group, though if you want to preserve a nice surface the power washing can make it very crumbly, of course a lot of the damage has already happened due to the ingress of the moss and the opening up of the pores in the surface. I'm hoping to get somebody to power wash mine so some kind of added help to remove it would be appreciated. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A bit like mowing the grass with a pair of scissors though, unless you have a very small patio! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I wonder if there is any creature that eats moss, I have it on my roof now and since the torrential rain the other day all my gutters need cleaning out as well... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

harry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Power washers are an obsession with some people - a guy up the road has even wrecked th etarmac pavement with his. It is a weekly 2 hour habit.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I was staying with friends during the first torrential rain after the weeks of very hot weather. A lot of moss washed off from the roof and subsequently blocked the down-pipe with a plug of dead(?) moss. For once the solution was easy as the bottom 3 ft of the pipe and angled boot could be easily removed for clearing. The 3 foot of pipe was full.

Unfortunately the very hot weather was probably the main contributory factor in the seal in one of the gutter joining pieces failing and during this first serious rain it leaked, the water ran straight down the wall and into a window that had been left open for the hot muggy conditions at the time. 3am and the wet and dry vacuum cleaner was out and a week or so later a coat of stain block applied to the ceiling below.

Reply to
alan_m

It is very definitely not chemical free but my neighbour speaks highly of something called "Wet & Forget". Not sure how well it will cope with thick moss though - their problem is slippy green algal slime on a north facing path that never sees the sun. It seems expensive to me and I don't bother to persecute lichens on my paths at all.

I'd probably scrape the worst of it off with a spade first. YMMV

Reply to
Martin Brown

On 28/08/2018 12:27, Martin Brown wrote

Which a bottle of cheap bleach lightly brushed on to the surface and left will clear.

Reply to
alan_m

yeah. Its the black lichens I cant shift

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher