OT: VE day warplanes

liberty

When was the 'fair trial' bit lost?

Reply to
johnty

Removal of the right to trial by jury?

Reply to
Bob Eager

I somehow how problems envisioning the Lancaster from the BoB flight 'swooping' ...

... or indeed doing anything that might be described as a stunt, so it seems you are just trolling.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Yes, unlike the A14 road. One incident per day is getting the norm;!....

Reply to
tony sayer

So what if they do?. Great fun to be having a pint at the John Barleycorn pub in Duxford with the odd spit for sound and visual effects!.....

Reply to
tony sayer

I did mean the NA Mustang the best US piston engined fighter - fitted as standard with Merlins from B or 2 on

Reply to
Martin

They are VERY manouverable

Reply to
Martin

Hmm, ... Secretary of State for the Disadvantaged announces a new Bill 'Access to Public Monies Bill' which will enable disadvantaged IT consultants to develop the new 'I'll guess what you want me to be" access terminal. The new terminal will replace all public-access terminals. MRI scanners, photo-booths, urinals, laparoscope's-machines, Phone-boxes, ATM, Rail-ticket machines etc. etc. et.al. across all interfaces between Government and the public. Economy of scale should mean, Mr Speaker, that the devices with their hydraulic adjustable-height mechanism and Dolby 5.1 (TM) sound-systems will be cheaper than the items they replace. In order to guarantee the public their inalienable right to access Government services it will be necessary for all citizens to posses a verifiable proof-of-entitlement card - my Right Honourable(sic) Friend the Secretary of State for Protection of the Homeland will introduce a Statutory Instrument requiring all people who may be entitled to receive the services of the state, at any time in the future, to carry an entitlement card

- purely for the purpose of permitting the Public-Access-Terminals to auto-configure themselves (for the convenience of the citizen).

A supplementary Bill will be laid to allocate N-trillion Euro for the development and introduction of the terminals ...

I commend this Bill to the House!

Dave is actually advocating this nightmare!

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Mike popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said

Spitfires have an ASI. As to stall warning, yup the "aerodynamics" are such that a slight buffet can be felt through the control column (joy stick) as the aircraft approaches stall speed warning the pilot of an incipient stall.

Aside lots of the early 'planes had a small vane on the leading edge of the wing this "poped out" when the pressure reduced to indicate the wing was about to stall, some had a connection back to some sort of dial in the cockpit to warn of the stall ,some you (TINY) just checked visually, some actually deployed slats from the leading edge (maybe Google "automatic slats")changing the shape of the wing enabling the wing to remain unstalled at greater angles of attack. So stall warning is not a "new" idea

Reply to
soup

nightjar

? You mean keep putting in new?

Why not put in new engines parts then? I mean piston ones...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah. That explains Lockerbie then.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Youv'e left out foreskins. We'd all have foreskins.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have a non life?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Martin popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said

The BOBMF Lancaster is restricted in the Gs it can "take".

Reply to
soup

Thsatrs what te pilot is there to prevent. Its the most basic skill in flying. keeping airspeed above a stall.

Strangely, thats what that stick in between the pilots knees is actually for...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Governments are the successful, self legalizing, protection rackets of the world.

Once you realise this the scales will drop from your eyes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its the retro styling mate.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh blimey. You would be surprised how one can hear 'wear in every department' and the slightest misfire when your life depends on it.

A pilot - a wartime pilot, of which my father was one - lives by his gauges. The slightest flicker of any needle, the slightest inexplicable drop in RPM, or over temperature in any area, is an immediate cause for alarm.

I drove my cars like that for years too. Nowadays you just get a red warning light and they stop.

These engines are not sophisticated as modern ones, but their simplicity is their strength. There is less TO go wrong, and regular maintenance eliminates nearly all that anyway.

I mean, how often does E.G. a well maintained Steam engine actually break down,. or a well maintained garden fork?

No stress gauges on those.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup. All of those.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup. the stick starts to shake all by itself without need of any electronic stick shakers....;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher