OT: VE day warplanes

I dunno. Bit of a fashion icon really. Dark uniforms and thigh length leather boots.

The 'Iron Dream'.....;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IF we had 224 hour surveillance on Tony Bliar and his chums, publicly accessible, I wouldn't mind so much...

As it is, its only the CIA that has the goods on him.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I bet they weren't even commuting to or from work making it "frivolous hyper mobility".

Reply to
Depresion

The people "driving" were at work.

Reply to
Brimstone

Not after the introduction of Miss Shilling's Orifice

Reply to
Andy Dingley

No it's not. Oh, you're a tit from down the road from me, you're already corporate brainwash man.

Go on, say it "if you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to be afraid of" it's the mantra for the anti-libertarian f****it.

Name one.

Or do you mean it will provide a way of controlling state benefits?

Absolute bilge. ID cards are a feature of life in other countries. They didn't stop the train bombings in Spain, did they? Nor the Red Brigade in Italy, nor the Bader Meinhof gang, nor yet the attack an the Israeli team at the Munich Olympics.

By creating a new crime, that of failure to carry an identity card. By removing the traditional right of an English subject of the crown to move freely without need to carry identification papers. By taking what is mine and mine alone and putting it into the domain of state control.

The identity card is piece of crap, making it a biometric ID card is the final insult.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Anyone else picking up the feeling that IBM is one of the preferred tenderers for the national ID card scheme?

Reply to
Steve Firth

I admit that I work for them (get paid by them, anyway ;-) ) but I'm not involved in this area professionally, have no idea of whether there's anything to tender for or, if there is, who is tendering. I just don't see why some people are so worried about an ID card ... but based on the comments so far I seem to be in a minority of those using this newsgroup. Oh well, it's not the first time.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Nor will you find any on the average light aircraft. IIRC, the average age of the general aviation fleet is about 30 years old and it is only in the past few years that anyone has started building ones that are not based on

1960s or even earlier technology.

There are specific exemptions when approaching a licenced airfield, otherwise it would be quite difficult to land..

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

No they weren't, they were on a jolly.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It is quite simple to zero hour the airframe, giving them a virtually indefinite life. The main problem is that the original engines are reaching the end of their design life, so most working Dakotas have been converted to turbo-props.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

The real Rolls Royce is involved with air racing and some of the top racers user RR engines notable Merlin and Gryphon - I think there is a Gryphon engined Mustang out there!

Reply to
Martin

So thats where they went - used to fly from Staverton

Reply to
Martin

Depresion wrote: ... snipped

Because ultimately all your information can be carried in one "device": passwords, passport, driving licence, other licences, medical records, credit cards, keys, etc, etc, etc. I agree that a single biometric is inadequate (wasn't there a film about some guy's eye being removed to fool an iris scan, and a recent case of a finger being chopped-off?) but multiple biometrics, tied-in with temperature measurements and other ideas that are being discussed in the tech press, seem to be the way forward.

Because disabilities and difficulties (contrast, colour, hearing, cognitive, physical, etc) could be coded into accessibility requirements or preferences. Many people would prefer larger text or better contrast or a left handed input device, or ... A "device" (call it an ID card) could have your preferences coded onto it so that as you approach another device (bank terminal, phone, PC, etc) it automatically configures itself to your needs or preferences. This would be a huge benefit to most people, but particularly the disabled and elderly.

... snipped

Having stirred-up the hornets I'll get back to DIY.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Cynic wrote: ... snipped

Agreed, I just don't see that as being very likely in our society - and there are so many potential benefits ...

This is way OT so let's get back to DIY.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

They won't carry passwords, act as passports (as they won't be internationally standardised to do so), there is possibility they could act as a replacement for a driving licence but some how I doubt it I can't see banks giving up the control over credit cards and just how many people do you want to have access to your medical records? If you plan to have all that stored on a card imagine the damage loosing it could do when the encryption is cracked. It's not the potential that I distrust it's the motives of the people behind the system. The UK has a long and very bad record when it comes to abuses of human rights and unfortunately there's been no sign of it improving over my life time.

Reply to
Depresion

Well there's an SD1 with a Meteor engine. ;)

Reply to
Depresion

Why?

Why should my medical records be placed on a government device, let alone credit cards.

And then all these public and private bodies will have read and write access to the device.

And keys?

Why not just inplant a chip inside us all?

Axel

Reply to
axel

No, nor did the Germans. I guess you haven't taken a lot of notice of the legislation made by our government in the past few years?

No, there are very few benefits that I can see that would not be possible and easier to implement using the systems that we already have.

I'm posting from ukl

Reply to
Cynic

I wouldn't have been here at all if WW2 had not of happened. My grandparents met in the army!

**SS**
Reply to
secret squiddle