OT Ubuntu email client recommendation

Hi All,

I usually do my emails either on my phone or using the yahoo web client. I had a great, rich design email conversation a while ago with lots of to and fro and several concurrent threads etc. I am now trying to resurrect that discussion to piece together the original design thinking, remind myself what we found out and conclusions made etc.

I am looking for an email client that runs on Ubuntu which can clearly show the conversation interaction. There used to be news clients which showed you the threads clearly e.g. who responded to which thread etc. Does something similar exist for email?

I have looked at Thunderbird and Evolution and neither seem to show the conversation view very well. Would appreciate any suggestions

thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leen...

TB does threading (if you select it)

Reply to
Andy Burns

I user Evolution, and it seems to thread OK.

You might have to explain what exactly you find problematic.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Vivaldi Mail looks interesting - not fully released, but you can enable it:

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Thanks Andy. The setting was a bit difficult to find so originally missed it. It seems to partly work but for some reason only links some of the messages of a thread together despite having the same subject and between the same 2 people.

Reply to
leen...

Thanks Theo. I tried the latest dev version but the threading didn't seem to work. Maybe one to watch as it gets fully built out.

Reply to
leen...

If you can cope with command line then mutt shows E-Mail threaded.

Reply to
Chris Green

It doesn't use subject, it uses references, so changing subject shouldn't break the thread.

Does the conversation "span" across your send and inbox folders? you might need to use unified folder view (I don't like that, so not sure).

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks Andy. the conversation is only in my inbox (not in folders) and my sent items. For the threads it shows, it doesn't include any of the emails I sent as part of the thread.

Reply to
leen...

You might need to move/copy messages from both sides of the conversation to be in a single folder, I tried using a global index view across folders and that didn't seem to work, also the option to "open in conversation" seems permanently greyed, I have a vague recollection it might be involved ... sorry I'm out of ideas.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks anyway Andy. I went into the Yahoo web client to start moving the threads into a new folder as you suggested whilst TB was downloading the circa 10k emails in my inbox! Only to discover and "update to latest version" link so clicked it and found that it does conversation mode! Not as good as TB does as it shows the thread as a number in the summary view (no structure shown) and the expanded view shows the emails one after the other. Having said that at least both sides of the conversation are there.

TB got stuck after 9.5k messages so that may be contributing to its issue.

Reply to
leen...

I use Claws mail and it can do threading OK. Also its sibling Sylpheed.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Hi Bob,

Just downloaded Claws and it did the trick - thanks. I had already moved all the messages I needed into a separate folder and fortunately Claws didn;t auto download any emails so I was able to just ask it to download my folder. Then the whole threads including those that have forked are all shown graphically and easy to see/ navigate.

Thanks again

Lee.

Reply to
leen...