So far OT....

Just received an email from the NatWest, stating

"If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us with no choice but to temporally suspend your account."

Hmmm....

The ever reliable wikipedia gives many options, one of which is

"The temporal power of the Popes is the political and governmental activity of the Popes of the Roman Catholic Church, as distinguished from their spiritual and pastoral activity, which by Catholics is sometimes also called eternal power, to contrast it with the Church's secular power, that is, power exercised within time rather than in eternity."

So will the Pope suspend my account?

Or the free dictionary gives me

"tem·po·ral 1 (tmpr-l, tmprl) adj.

  1. Of, relating to, or limited by time: a temporal dimension; temporal and spatial boundaries.
  2. Of or relating to the material world; worldly: the temporal possessions of the Church.
  3. Lasting only for a time; not eternal; passing: our temporal existence.
  4. Secular or lay; civil: lords temporal and spiritual.
  5. Grammar Expressing time: a temporal adverb."

or

"tem·po·ral 2 (tmpr-l, tmprl) adj. Of, relating to, or near the temples of the skull."

So I may wake tomorrow to find my account suspended beside my head, near to my temples. I suppose it is better than finding a horse's head on the pillow.

Oh, and I extracted the original text from the message source as I was disinclined to open it as an email.

Really, if you want my money at least try and spell your threats correctly!

Amazing also how many banks seem under the impression you have an account with them.

As I said, so far off topic to be almost over the horizon.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Do you actually bank with NatWest?

It might actually be genuine; phishers usually check the difficult words in the dictionary and get them right, but trip up on grammar.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

*Do you actually bank with NatWest?

*It might actually be genuine; phishers usually check the difficult *words in the dictionary and get them right, but trip up on grammar.

Yeah, right. Correctly placed in the SPAM folder by my mail client. No bank sends you emails telling you to click through a link within the email to confirm your online credentials. If they did, which I am assured by various online banking sites they would never do, they would include details like your name, part of your address, part of your account number etc. to reassure you that the email was from them and not someone sending out scattergun emails allegedly from NatWest/HSBC/Lloyds/Halifax et al asking you to supply them with your online banking credentials to prevent your account from being suspended.

My point was that even for phishers this bunch were incredibly incompetent. In this case I found the incompetence amusing. I suspect that English may not be the first language of the originator and that a dictionary whould give you time related options for the definition and a spell checker would let it through.

Then again the Pope may be about to suspend my (notional) NatWest account.

Sadly, this sort of phishing must yield results or the spammers would stop sending them.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

snip

In the last few months I must have had more than half a dozen similar offerings from different spammers. So far at least they haven't managed to pick the bank I actually use and the spelling frequently indicates someone not used to the sometimes curious way English English is spelt.

I have had a BT account for several years (Zetnet went to the dogs as soon as it was taken over) but these jokers are the first to uncover my BT address which suggests that one of the on-line sales outlets I have used for the first time recently has either had a lapse in security or is in cahoots with the spammers.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

In message , David WE Roberts writes

Well with some people on this group ready to think this might be genuine it's not surprising they have some success. Of course if the Pope suspends your account you might be in a bit of trouble later on.

Reply to
hugh