So far OT - cheque books

I keep a cheque book for the rare occasion where a small group needs money but doesn't handle electronic cash.
I have always had a cheque book since long before the Internet existed, or credit/debit cards and ATMs.
Back in the day you used cheques for everything including drawing cash, so you could keep track of your money using the little area on the LHS where you had your cheque amount and your running balance.
I just realised that the same fields are there today but the number of people who could make use of this running total must be few to none.
Nearly all transactions are electronic, as far as I know.
Anyway, so far off topic....
Cheers
Dave R

On Wed, 05 Jul 2017 20:48:16 +0000, David wrote:

I feel your pain, mate. The bankers' long-term plan to take over the world is really coming together now. :(

I probably write 3 or 4 a year, tops.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 40th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.

I know I write 1 a decade, tops.
On 05-Jul-17 9:54 PM, Huge wrote:

I last wrote one in May 2016.

Colin Bignell
On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 12:14:51 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

needs

Most accounts can accept a bank transfer (BACS) even if the account holder has no electronic banking facility.

Oct 2015, before that Dec 2012.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 07/07/2017 02:05, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I wrote one to myself and posted it to Santander, this being the only way to open a bond (apparently)
On 08-Jul-17 7:43 AM, Stuart Noble wrote:

Mine was similarly to my bank to open a bond. It seems they can't do an electronic transfer to an account that does not yet exist.

Colin Bignell

last autumn, I opened an account with BoS and once I received the details, was able to transfer money to it electronically.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On Sat, 08 Jul 2017 09:21:46 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

Hmmm. I opened an account with Kent Reliance last week. Created the account, got the details and transferred in the initial deposit. Took about ten minutes in all.
On 08-Jul-17 10:13 AM, Bob Eager wrote:

Was that an investment bond account though?

Colin Bignell

But with ours, you open the account using your phone, get the account number immediately, so you have an account to do an electronic transfer to in a minute or two.
Ours do the online ID verification immediately too.

Life's too short for that, I think our American cousins learnt "Balancing the check (sic) book" at grade school.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

I used to have just one blank check in my wallet for the very rare occasion where I didn’t have enough cash and cards arent accepted. I used that so rarely that by the time I found a need to use one, it was so battered that he was rather dubious about accepting it, but it worked fine.
I no longer have that account and havent bothered to get a cheque book from one of the others I can still get one from because I needed to write a cheque so rarely it isnt worth the cost of a new book of cheques.

Yeah, me too, ever since before I started working, more than half a century ago now.

Yeah, even for buying stuff at the supermarket and I did that quite a bit.

I didn’t bother, just recorded the details, didn’t bother with the balance.

Still most garage/yard/boot sale transactions are with cash.
I do almost everything with my phone now, don’t even use cards.

I'd have you publicly flogged if you hadn't enjoyed that so much the last time.
On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 07:20:11 +1000

What's that all about? Cheque books in the UK are free. They cost money in the US, but that's a dubious place anyway.
--
Davey.

On Thu, 06 Jul 2017 00:23:58 +0100, Davey wrote:

I remember a time when they weren't free. You had to pay stamp duty on every cheque, and there was an embossed 'stamp' (circular) on each cheque. The duty was 2d (two old pence) per cheque, so a book of 25 cheques was charged at 50 old pence (4 shillings and two pence).
I got my first cheque book just before I went to university in October 1970. The UK went over to decimal currency in February 1971, and the stamp duty on cheques was abolished a few days earlier - so I didn't pay much! Of course, I had already paid for my current and spare cheque books...
History: https://goo.gl/SvJQZj
On Wed, 05 Jul 2017 23:54:07 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

I got my first proper bank account in 1969 (IIRC) but I can't remember having to pay for cheques.
I did have a special deal for students (got a free clipboard as well, I think) so perhaps free cheques were part of the deal.
Then again, 1969........my detailed memory of that year is not 100% for some reason....
Cheers
Dave R

On 6 Jul 2017 10:31:17 GMT

Pretty much the same here, except 1968 instead of 1969. Maybe free cheques were indeed part of the deal for students.
--
Davey.

Hmmm. I got my first bank account in 1970 and don't recall paying for cheques. Pretty sure students got free banking to encourage loyalty. It kinda worked because I still have that account, although don't use it for much; given the problems Banks regularly have with IT these days, having accounts at two separate institutions has proven useful in the past.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 41st day of Confusion in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 06-Jul-17 12:14 PM, Huge wrote:

I don't recall having to buy a cheque book either. As the stamp duty was not really due until you issued the cheque, it may simply have been incorporated into the cheque transaction fee.

Colin Bignell