So far OT - cheque books

Out in the sticks here the village shop does cash-back.

Reply to
DJC

Supermarkets are double handy as you get the notes out of ATM outside and then break one or two up by buying single bananas or whatever, on one of their EPOS machines inside.

I'm of an age where getting actual money out of a hole in the wall by simply pressing a few buttons still seems a bit magical. Even if it is my own money.

The bastards have somewhat spoiled the illusion of late by filling the things with worn out notes, not crisp ones like before.

"Would you like new notes sir ?"

Those were the days.

michael adams

michael adams

By any of the pay to any mobile number systems, or paypal.

Then you use the mobile number or get real radical and use cash.

Even the churches still accept cash in the collection plate and many even have a box that you can get real radical and put cash into too.

Reply to
Jack Konstan

Never had any problems tending notes to my window cleaner, who also accepts cheques without complaint.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

It was Alex, the merchant banker "hero" of the eponymous cartoon strip, once in the Independant and now in the Telegraph, who put his corporate Amex card in the church collection plate when visiting his fiancé's parents.

Reply to
charles

Of course. It's in their interests, since they get charged by the bank for handling cash.

Reply to
Huge

We are fortunate enough to still have a reasonably successful village pub, they do cash back as well.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

In those days with me it would have been 'would you like a new note, sir?'

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In funny accounting money perhaps

but not in real money

most banks charge businesses on a total deposit basis not on a per cheque basis

tim

Reply to
tim...

Same here. They had a 2 minute walk to the station, about 30 minutes on the train, and a 10 minute walk the other end. It wasn't uncommon for there to be fairly major train problems (it's the coastal terminus for the main North Kent line from London).

Older son got his phone when he went to secondary school. Younger one got his two years later (very important for him as he had just been diagnosed as diabetic, and it made him feel safer).

We paid the basic monthly charge until they got jobs.

Reply to
Bob Eager

+1
Reply to