Target, home depot card security:(

I have now had 5 cards wiped out because stores dont bother keeping their systems secure:(

I think congress should pass some consumer protection laws, to penalize merchants who have data breaches:(

Require the merchant to pay 100% of the costs to replace every card, plus give the consumer 100 bucks a pop for the inconvenience....

I espically hate all the pre authorized transactions like ez pass. I just got the target mess fixed and now I have to start all over again...

of course congress, espically the republicans could care less about the common person. Their only concerns are getting more bucks to run for reelection from big business.

I am sick and tired of spending days straitening out hassles like this:(

Reply to
bob haller

yep. If only those damn democrats gave a damn about us.

Reply to
Pico Rico

by the way, I see more chipped cards these days. That is supposed to help.

Reply to
Pico Rico

Pico,

How can you be that clinical? Whenever they're campaigning the libs always say they care about us. Are you telling me they're lying? I'm beginning to lose all faith in humanity.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

They do bother. The problem is humanity. There will always be thieves. The fact is, if a human devises a security plan, no matter how good it is, another human will find a way to break it. No matter how smart and clever you are, there is always someone smarter and more clever than you.

It will happen again no matter how strong the security seems to be.

You can be sure that as you read this, some hacker is trying to be to your bank or retailers you shop at. It will never stop.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Now, now Ed. The clear problem here is the Republicans. Despite the fact that Obama is president and the Democrats control the Senate. If just the Democrats controlled the House too, there would be no more computer crime. The govt is good at computer security. We just need more of it so they can apply the same systems and techniques that kept all our top secret NSA data secure. NSA data that by the way, didn't have to interface at all to hundreds of millions of consumers doing billions of transactions.

Reply to
trader_4

Our Democrat in Chief has been displaying his true side, with the Behghazi coverup (our boys died) and the Sgt. T in Mexican prison, and o doesn't do much about it. How about the Latte salute?

Ever heard of paying cash?

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I do hope you are joking?

Stormin Mormon

I've lost confidence in both sides. The Libs propose legislation, the Reps bluff and bluster for a few weeks, and sure enough it passes. Two sides of one coin.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ever heard of "pay cash"?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You make it sound like the Republicans are passing most of what the Democrats want. In fact, compared to previous Congresses, very little is being passed. Not that I'm complaining. It's just that if the Republicans were doing what you say, it would, IMO, be a whole lot worse.

Reply to
trader_4

I wasn't referring to RFID, which is so incredibly stupid on a credit card. How hard is it to actually swipe the card instead of waving it?

I was referring to Chip and PIN cards:

Pico Rico

Not so fast... He never said WHO it was supposed to help! ;)

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I'll admit, I don't follow the specifics. Just the general feel I get from listening to radio.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

RIGHT! Democrats don't need to do that because they've already stolen enough to fund their campaigns. Their main impetus is tossing the Great Unwashed a few crumbs so the GU will continue to vote for them so they can steal more.

Reply to
dadiOH

I think you may be missing the big picture here. Consider...

Now, with non RFID card. Bad guy sticks a gun in your face, demands you go to an automatic teller, withdraw money and give it to him and if you don't he is going to inflict serious harm on you.

Now, WITH RFID card. Bad guy steals code, makes a card, goes to automatic teller and withdraws money ALL AT NO RISK TO YOU!

IOW, the good credit card folks are working hard to keep us safe.

Reply to
dadiOH

|I have now had 5 cards wiped out because stores dont bother keeping their systems secure:( |

I'm a contractor, shopping at HD at least once a week, but I didn't know how seriously to take the latest breach. It's been going on since Spring and I haven't had any problems.

I'm curious what you've done. Did you have your cards reissued? Is there a cost for that? Do you just call them and say you've shopped at HD, and they'll sens you a card with a new number?

Reply to
Mayayana

Couple nights ago on the news they said that the first instances of the stolen card info being used had just started to occur. Last week they were showing it being offered in traunches on a website in Russia. The trauches you could buy were named "American Sanctions 10, 11, 12, etc. Gives you a good idea of who and what is behind it.

An interesting question is why the card issuers don't just send out new cards. I can only speculate that they figure that will cost more than all the time and money spent investigating and covering losses that occur. But I would think it would be more cost effective to just issue new cards. Maybe they are doing that, IDK. And unlike Bob, I don't think it's such a big deal if they issue me a new card. The only issue I see is having to change any online places where you have it saved, use it for recurring charges, etc. Not that much work, IMO.

Reply to
trader_4

Believe me, they suffer in lost sales. Home Depot and Target appear to have been particularly lax and didn't even do some of the minimum system scanning required by the Visa and MC. HD may suffer greivously because of that lack of compliance. It has and will continue to cost them dearly in sales. Egghead went out of business shortly after they experienced a massive breach. Fortunately these massive attacks have awakened the industry from its stupor and more companies are doing aggressive testing.

A new problem has begun to appear - people using your checking account number to make electronic debits. Apparently the banks are pretty lax about who they will allow to debit your account. Every time you write a check, you hand out your account number to a potential hacker.

They've only recently decided to force them to acknowledge that they have been compromised. That data has been kept quite secret for a long time and its only through the efforts of independent security analysts like Brian Krebs that they've been outed. He's the one that fingered Target and if you recall, they denied, denied, denied for as long as they thought they could get away with it.

It will never happen. In the US we only manage by crisis and now there have been enough huge breaches that we'll move to a much safer "chipped card" system. Merchants have long balked at paying the cost to upgrade their systems but these latest mega breaches are forcing their hand. Europe's card fraud rates have been much lower than ours because they went to chipped cards years ago.

I use cash nowadays at stores and especially restaurants (where the card leaves your physical possession - a real invitation to trouble). It used to be that I wouldn't use cards on-line but retailers like Amazon seem to be able to keep their card systems secure. Other than them, I only use sites that take Paypal because I have a little keyfob code generator from them. Stealing my password won't do a hacker much good because each transaction requires a number generated from the keyfob. So far, so good!

Don't forget to thank the Supreme Court for deciding that money equals free speech.

Its both parties, actually. Look at Obama, who campaigned on getting us out of the Middle East but it hurling us right back into that stinkhole/sinkhole. Russia, China, Saudi Arabia and Europe have the most to lose from ISIS but they're quite content to let poor, dumb old Uncle Sam do all the heavy lifting and fight their battles for them. How can we be against welfare for US citizens while we funnel billions of dollars to defend the interests of countries that wouldn't take the time to whizz on us if we were on fire? Time for them to get off the US welfare rolls, too. What a dolt Obama is.

All it takes, it seems, to get America worked up to a money-splurging frenzy is to behead a few people. The terrorists must be laughing their asses off at how little it takes to push us to into a blind revenge-driven fury. If we let them alone they would not have a common enemy and would eventual fight amongst themselves and take care of the problem for us. But NOOOO. We've got to make the US a target that unifies every terrorist faction in the world. So Obama's as dumb as a post and is doing exactly what he laced into George Bush for doing. Obama took us out of the frying pan and into the fire.

It's a bitch, I agree. Its a great reason to go back to untrackable, unhackable cash. Its also pretty hard to spend more money than you have with cash. Cards make that a LOT easier to do since the pain doesn't come until 30 days later. I still carry one card in my wallet for emergencies, but I if I am going shopping, I make a list and go to the bank first. I've found a number of places will give a 2 to 5% discount for cash.

SH

Reply to
Sherlock.Homes

| >I have now had 5 cards wiped out because stores dont bother keeping their systems secure:( | > | | They do bother.

Not necessarily:

I've also seen articles critical of Target's security. The problem seems to be that they just don't have a lot to lose, and like most individuals, they see security issues as abstract until a problem happens.

I don't know of any reason they even need to store credit card data. Once the payment has gone through it's none of their concern. Which points to a second unnecessary security risk: companies that hold data they shouldn't for purposes of datamining.

Reply to
Mayayana