So far OT - cheque books

Is there a church? If not, you live in a hamlet not a village. is there any public building? Parish room? Village Hall?

Reply to
charles

Yes.

Actually, I do live in a hamlet.

. is there

Nope. Just houses and a church. No hall, pub, shop, PO or anything else. We have a Post Box, a Call Box and a bus stop. That's it.

Reply to
Huge

Yes to church and Village Hall. I already indicated the unsuitability of our VH to host an ATM. You could break in with a tin opener.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You could ask the EU for a grant to get some of these essentials.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wrote one to myself and posted it to Santander, this being the only way to open a bond (apparently)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Mine was similarly to my bank to open a bond. It seems they can't do an electronic transfer to an account that does not yet exist.

Reply to
Nightjar

last autumn, I opened an account with BoS and once I received the details, was able to transfer money to it electronically.

Reply to
charles

Hmmm. I opened an account with Kent Reliance last week. Created the account, got the details and transferred in the initial deposit. Took about ten minutes in all.

Reply to
Bob Eager

If a village has no pub, no garage, and no shop WTF does it need an ATM for ?

As I very much doubt that the High Street in Midsomer Streater, or wherever it is, is lined with drug dealers or prozzies, somehow.

Normal business practice is to locate ATMs in places where people are are most likely to need cash, or put the other way round, the places where people are likely to need cash are the most likely places to find an ATM.

There are ptobably laboratory chimpanzees capable of working that one for themselves, if you could actually design the experiment and had enough bananas.

michael adams

michael adams

The trouble is that you often find that you need cash when you are at home - kids need money for the bus ticket to school; window or wheelie-bin cleaner needs paying; kids need cash for some event happening at school the next day, etc.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Good question. But then it wasn't me suggesting it. Do keep up.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well yes. Maybe I didn't express myself very clearly. When I said places where "people" are likely to need cash I wasn't really referring to particular individuals who might run out of cash at home. As obviously banks aren't going to install ATM's outside of people's houses.

And another problem with ATM's is they only dispense notes. Usually ?20's but ocassionally ?10's if you're lucky. The problem with paying window cleaners wheelie bin cleaners etc is they expect payment when the job is done. But there's no guarentee that they'll have change for your ?10 or ?20 note. Which can create an awkward situation which is best avoided if at all possible. Obviously if they charge less, say ?6, and you've only got ?4 in change then a tenner out of an ATM is no real help.

Same with the school bus, although a lot of its done on line nowadays with the child picking up passes at the school. As to individual tickets most drivers won't give change for a tenner. But neither will they abandon the child by the bus stop but will probably take their details and possibly recover the fare from the parents through the school. Which obviously places unnecessary stress on the child, by again placing it in an awkward situation.

michael adams

michael adams

Yes, but the reasons for not having one are the ones you yourself already stated.

Our village has no pub, no garage, no shop

So WTF have tin openers got to do with it ?

In the matter of ATM's It doesn't really matter whether your Village Hall is a corrugated iron shack or is built like Fort Knox. Does it ?

I am keeping up. I read the first post of yours which gave the reasons why your village has no ATM. And then I read a subsequent post where seemingly having forgotten all about that you then launch into a totally irrelevent aside about the unsuitability of your village hall owing to its vulnerability to tin openers.

Basically the chimpanzee experiment, which you won't know about of course could easily simulate this this using big coloured buttons and logic gates. Not forgetting the bananas.

michael adams

michael adams

michael adams

michael adams

our window cleaner expects to be paid by BACS. It helps his accounting.

Reply to
charles

Was that an investment bond account though?

Reply to
Nightjar

charles posted

How is it more helpful than a cheque in that respect?

Reply to
Handsome Jack

A BACS payment is itemised with references on a bank statement - a cheque is simply listed by number; further reference documents are needed to see where it originated. Also, cheques cost nearly £1 to process on a business account.

Reply to
charles

Perhaps we need a DIY Wiki on cash and how to manage it.

Things like remembering to get some when running low. Every supermarket I've seen has an ATM. Keeping change at home for when it may be needed.

Of course I am assuming most on here ain't on the breadline. Where they can't afford to have a few quid in cash lying around for when it's needed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And will give Cash Back if you buy something and use a card. Then you can avoid the things they slip into ATM slots to steal your card information.

Reply to
Davey

Depends how often you go to the supermarket. Not often, if out in the sticks, and many have theor groceries delivered.

Reply to
Bob Eager