SEMI OT - VW now has a truck

truck, in case anyone want to do some wood hauling. VW is noted for its economy. I want one.

JOAT The Good are Innocent so they invented Justice. The Evil are Guilty so they invented Mercy.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Scheiße Wagon did make trucks in the 50's & 60's. check out

had a nice feature where you could drop the tailgate and both sides to make it a flatbed. Dreadfully underpowered tho.

Art

VW truck, in case anyone want to do some wood hauling. VW is noted for

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Sun, Apr 18, 2004, 7:59pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@magnet.com (Wood=A0Butcher) says: Schei=DFe Wagon did make trucks

Sigh. I know.

It was a joke. Bigger sigh.

JOAT The Good are Innocent so they invented Justice. The Evil are Guilty so they invented Mercy.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 19:59:11 GMT, "Wood Butcher" scribbled:

Hey, my father had one of those whne he had a millwork shop back in the late 50s. (OBWW)

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

Me too. SWMBO and I drove through Sparwood (tiny town in British Columbia, Canuckistan, Paddy) once and I got to stand beneath that sucker. Screw those little Hummers, I want to drive that baby in Austin rush hour traffic.

Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) Go ahead ... try to cut me off.

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

Not just underpowered, but bad gas mileage to boot! And how about crashworthy? A motorcycle is safer, because there's a small chance you can be thrown clear.

Reply to
Hitch

On 20 Apr 2004 05:11:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@swt.edu (Conan the Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

> VW truck, in case anyone want to do some wood hauling. VW is noted for

I'd much rather have a Mog. It can be driven on the street.

The green flatbed'll do, but I'd hate to see what a windshield costs...

-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience --------------------------------------------

- Web Database Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not sure how you think that's a good thing; in every accident I've responded to where someone was "thrown clear" it's been very, very bad for them. If you've got enough energy to be thrown any distance from a crash, that's an awful lot of hurt that's gonna happen when you land...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

lol ya i love it when people talk about how safe it is to be 'thrown clear'. often its the same people who claim that youll get stuck in your car if you wear seatbelts. they too seem not to realize that if there was enough energy to trap you in the car, and jam the seat belt, and somehow put you in a position that you really cant get out, that without the belt you would simply be hamburger on the windshield.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

That has always puzzled me. The way I figure it, if you're flying through the air at 40 mph or whatever, you just *gotta* be better off with two tons of steel around you than on your own. I just can't imagine how anyone could think otherwise.

Some years ago, a state trooper wrote to Ann Landers, to encourage people to wear seat belts, after having been at the scene of yet another fatal crash. He said that in over 20 years on the force, he had assisted at hundreds of accidents, many of them fatal, and he's had to cut seat many belts to help people get out of their wrecked cars, but, he said, "I have *never* removed a seat belt from a corpse."

Doug Miller

Of course not, the troopers let the EMT or Coroner do that.

Sorry, but that always seemed like a bogus statement to me. Even when it was being used in the buckle-up campaigns on TV some years ago, before that letter to Ann Landers I might add. True on the surface, but silly if examined closely. They are trying to give the impression that no one ever died with a seat belt on, which is patently absurd.

I'm not saying seatbelts are a bad thing, just that I don't like sleazy phrasing tricks used to support what should be supportable by good solid evidence.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

The ones without seatbelts, in rollovers, are often "partially ejected" (EMT-speak for "the head was out when the car rolled on it"), which is a particularly not-good place to have your head at that time.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Depends who gets there first. We're not going to leave the person where they are, unless they're _obviously_ dead; we'll take 'em out and work 'em. There are only a couple of situations where "obviously dead" applies...

I don't think that's what they're saying, but it's interesting to note that in over a decade of being an EMT, the only people who have been hurt enough to need a helecopter transport, are the ones who weren't seatbelted. Yeah, anecdotal evidence and all that, but the pattern is very distinctly present. Can't think of any dead ones who were seatbelted either, come to think of it.

Ah, but remember - some people _think_ about things, and others _feel_ about things. Those who understand logic and science, can understand percentages, statistics, and that sort of thing, but won't be affected by emotionalized approaches like the trooper one. Likewise, those who are going to react to, and learn from, a picture of someone whose face went through the windshield because of no seatbelt, aren't necessarily going to be swayed by logic and percentages, but they'll remember that picture of the guy with all the stiches.

In reality, those who won't wear seatbelts aren't doing it because they're ignorant of seatbelts, it's because they've been told and have chosen not to take advantage of them. It's a poor and sometimes fatal decision, and chances are pretty good that they're not going to change their mind based on statistics, anecdotal stories, or whatever.

Dave Hinz (Firefighter/EMT)

Reply to
Dave Hinz

well if you put anything under a big enough microscope it falls apart. the one that always bothered me is the 'you are (pick a number between 2 and 10) times as likely to get in an accident within (choose a small number) miles of home. what they fail to mention is that you spend 100 times as much time driving in that area so on a per mile basis , you are actually less likely to get in an accident when driving close to home.

which still doesnt mean you shouldnt wear your seat belt.

the simple fact is that seat belts save lives. any numerical analisys shows this to be true. but that doesnt seem to matter. what i really dont understand is that most of the people i know (and i actually know quite a few here in montana) that refuse to wear seat belts, all pretty much agree. they know the numbers are against them. but they dont seem to care and feel the numbers dont apply to them.

in some people, there seems to be an underlying fear of being trapped in the car and they would rather just die in the wreck.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Tue, Apr 20, 2004, 10:50am (EDT-3) novalidaddress@di\/ersify.com (Larry=A0Jaques) mutters: I'd much rather have a Mog. It can be driven on the street. Well, Hell, if you're gonna wimp out with something street legal, might's well get something decent.

Good are Innocent so they invented Justice. The Evil are Guilty so they invented Mercy.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

That's another of those things I just don't get. If they just rattled around the car until they wedged somewhere, it's unpredictable what will be holding them - maybe the pedals wrapped around their feet, maybe the windshield's remains around their neck, maybe them in the back seat, who knows. If they're in the driver's seat, they know exactly where the button is to get out. I guess that's what "irrational fear" means, though.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

A high school acquaintance was killed when the ex-State Police Crown Vic Interceptor he crashed in "threw him clear", then landed on him. They didn't find the body until the wrecker pulled the car out of the woods. The on-scene folks didn't know there were three people in the car. All EMS and fire folks had already left the scene, the wrecker driver got to find the body.

The other two occupants of the car were found wedged, ground beef style, under the dashboard and steering column. Nobody had a seat belt on. The passenger compartment was relatively intact. They probably would have still been badly injured, but very possibly alive.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Actually, this was quoted from the public safety film "Room to Live". The guy in the film is a trooper who personally makes the statement in the film.

In "Room to Live II", an updated version, he admits that he did ONCE unbuckle a dead person. They had been hit from behind by an umbrella that was on the rear dashboard. He then segues into a segment about loose articles in the passenger compartment.

We used to have to watch these films yearly in corporate safety meetings.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

In article , snipped-for-privacy@vt.edu says... ... snip

... agree with you 100% The older I get, the more the PSA's on radio and/or TV just really get under my skin. AZ's anti-smoking ads almost make me want to go out and buy a carton of cigarettes just because the ads are so stupid and annoying.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

And probably the deadliest loose article for a belted passenger is an unbelted passenger. If I'm the driver, all my passengers buckle up or walk. It's not for their safety, it's for mine.

Reply to
Guy