SEMI OT - VW now has a truck

Mark & Juanita responds:

Not quite that bad--it was too damned hard for me to quit smoking--but the no talent kids who c-rap about not smoking, the stupid grin in close-up of one creepy looking girl in another...talent free and irritating in general.

Charlie Self "Ambidextrous, adj.: Able to pick with equal skill a right-hand pocket or a left." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

Wed, Apr 21, 2004, 2:45am (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@hadenough.com (Mark=A0&=A0Juanita) says: =A0=A0=A0=A0... agree with you 100% The older I get, the more the PSA's on radio and/or TV just really get under my skin. AZ's anti-smoking ads almost make me want to go out and buy a carton of cigarettes just because the ads are so stupid and annoying.

Can't agree on the cigarettes part, never want to start that again. But for the rest, makes me just want to slap a few of them, and tell them not to be so stupid. It's like they asked a batch of 8 YOs what would make people stop smoking, then filmed it. And, it isn't just the smoking ads, its skin cancer, car ads, in short amost every ad there is.

JOAT The Good are Innocent so they invented Justice. The Evil are Guilty so they invented Mercy.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Tue, Apr 20, 2004, 2:28pm (EDT-2) snipped-for-privacy@spammyspam.com (xrongor) says: which still doesnt mean you shouldnt wear your seat belt.

I believe, and always wear one. But, sometimes my kids don't (but they damn sure do when I'm in the vehicle with them, or them with me, because I keep at them until they do. Hehehehe). So, I appeal to something they can relate to. If they don't wear it, it'll cost them $25 every time they're caught not wearing it. Took the older one about $75 before he got the idea. Hard to fight it tho, when one of their buddies tells them it's safer not to wear one.

JOAT The Good are Innocent so they invented Justice. The Evil are Guilty so they invented Mercy.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Hard to believe that some people still go with that idea, but my cousin's husband believes the same thing. And he's about your age, JOAT. Younger than me, but not by enough to count.

I drove a wrecker for a short period back when I was a kid, pre-seatbelt days (I even recall Ford trying to sell seatbelts as optional extras, starting, IIRC, in '56 or '57: bombed badly). Anyone who has ever seen the results of a single high speed wreck without seatbelts will believe in their effectiveness, after they're done puking.

Charlie Self "Ambidextrous, adj.: Able to pick with equal skill a right-hand pocket or a left." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

Wed, Apr 21, 2004, 11:07am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie=A0Self) says: and other crap and non-crap.

One of the real brainiacs writing commericals, for me, is the one that wrote the ad for sleeping pills. They list the side-effects - one of which is, drowsiness.

JOAT The Good are Innocent so they invented Justice. The Evil are Guilty so they invented Mercy.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

I became a believer in high school when a dog ran out in front of me in my 1971 Ford LTD with bench seats. I found myself going down the road sideways, trying to steer and brake from the passenger seat.

Two lessons learned that night:

  1. A seat belt keeps you closer to the steering wheel, making it easier to maintain control of the car.

  1. A stray dog isn't worth dying for. Hit it. You can wince, yell, feel bad afterwards, call a vet, whatever, but -don't- yank the steering wheel around.

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

Reply to
Mike Patterson

Stray or no stray, if it's him or me (or you) it should always be the dog, but most of us are conditioned otherwise. I don't like to think of all the time I've spent sliding sideways because of one animal or another.

Charlie Self "Ambidextrous, adj.: Able to pick with equal skill a right-hand pocket or a left." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

JOAT responds:

Yes, well, think of this: the odds are excellent that moron is making 150K a year or more.

Charlie Self "Ambidextrous, adj.: Able to pick with equal skill a right-hand pocket or a left." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

Hey now, verrrrrry funny. Haven't checked recently, but I believe that they are still making PUs in South Africa.

If the chatter among dubsters is accurate. It is the plant that was located in New Jersey, which was shipped to Yugoslavia and then moved to SA when all the war stuff started back when.

On one list, a wife of a brit soldier claimed that her husband was allowed to purchase one and have the tax waived and that the cost was around 4,000 dollars for a new one. I want two.

Come to think of it, they had a Fox version of a PU somewhere in South America. A country that speaks Portugese... Brazil?

Reply to
p_j

Watching films of pre-seatbelt auto racing made a believer of me.

Seeing the pack run over another driver is pretty memorable. 8^(

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Exactly my point, you are an EMT. The trooper generally is going to leave a belted occupant in the vehichle till the EMTs get there with a backboard, right? Unless the car's on fire or there is some other immediate danger troopers don't pull people out. At least that has been my impression.

Again, seatbelts are a good thing. I know the stats and I've heard the bogus arguments against them. I wear 'em all the time. Everybody should. It's just that story with the trooper saying he never unbuckled a dead person seems too cleverly phrased, like it was cooked up by an ad man somewhere.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

Right. One would hope that's the case.

Weeeeelllllll, how do I put this. I've been called off from responding to more than a few crashes because there are "no injuries", only to be re-paged later for non-trivial problems. Not precisely on this exact topic, but they're not trained in patient assessment any more than I'm trained in chasing down a speeder.

Well, as an EMT, I can make that statement myself. Maybe if they re-made the ad today, they'd use someone other than a cop. It's still the "appeal to the feelings" crowd that they're trying to reach with those, rather than the "explain the facts" type people.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

-snip-

You've noticed that too, huh. I swear that if I were the world's foremost authority on a subject and some skid row bum told my wife or kids something that disagreed with what I said, they are right and I am wrong. Oh well, an expert is anyone that is more than 50 miles from home..

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Oh, yeah. Some years ago, our car had a problem. One of the guys at the church my wife attends told her it was the shaft on the fan creating the problem. I blew my stack, took her out and showed her that on that car, the fan had NO shaft, it was electric and driven by a thermostat so couldn't have caused that problem. She still told the mechanic who got to do the work that it was the f***ing fan!

I can't even recall the damned problem now, but I sure recall my irritation at that. It was the first of many.

Charlie Self "Ambidextrous, adj.: Able to pick with equal skill a right-hand pocket or a left." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

"No man is a prophet in his own country." (French proverb)

I get the same treatment from my wife.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

The only VW bakkie ( I suppose PU to you) we have here is a varient of the Golf 1 (1600 or 1800 cc). Economical and load space is I think a bit smaller than the average SWB. Popular though. BTW SA exports VW vehicles to UK and the rest of Europe and also exports BMW and Mercs to numerous countries. So what's so funny?

Reply to
Phil Hansen

I had one. I wish I had another. What's the rough price of one?

So what's the translation of 'bakkie'?

The thread started with an edited picture of a new beetle.

Reply to
p_j

About R140000 which is about $20000

A bak is a container. (Afrikaans) Bakkie is diminutive so small container. Common name for anything with an open load area.

OK, didn't see that

Reply to
Phil Hansen