concrete cure time/garbage truck

------------------------------------- lbm

I poured a concrete pad at my farm business a week ago. Concrete is 4000 PSI at one month. I poured it 8 inches as this pad extends onto the gravel drive and I get heavy machines/trucks etc and did not want it breaking.

I called the waste disposal company and told them DO NOT COME GET THE DUMPSTER until I tell you ( 3 to 4 wks ). Well, they drove right up the drive this a.m. and over the concrete. I am not there to inspect it but am not happy.

I tapered the forms down to meet the gravel drive level so there is no step off which should have helped. But my question is what are the odds of damage afte one wk with temps 75 to 55 ( night ) degrees and one wk to cure.

Not much I can do except complain to the waste management company but I am hoping the pad will be okay. A garbage truck weighs about 20 ton I am told.

Thanks for any thoughts.

LBM

Reply to
lbm

Unbelievable. You know that if you had called and demanded pickup, they probably wouldn't have shown for two weeks!

You have a couple things working in your favor - the thickness of the slab and there was a week of curing. If your subgrade was compacted and prepared well you'll probably be fine. If your area has hard freezes you'll probably know by the end of the winter if damage was done.

I would be more worried, at least initially, if the truck damaged the surface by dry steering when/if it was turning. Any signs of wheel scrub on the concrete?

Rico dJour

I know that I'd have blocked off, safety tape and all, any area where I didn't want traffic. As to damage, have an engineer inspect it, and if there is a flaw due to their negligence, file a law suit. Of course you won't win, but you'll feel better.

Reply to
PeterD

I'm guessing, if it was really 7 days from time of concrete placement to time of "garbage truck", you;re probably ok.

Thickness (at 8") is substantial and 7 days will typically give you ~75% of the 28 day strength.

As Rico stated, good base work will help.

Tell them if it shows up cracked right away you;re going to be expecting an ongoing discount on our trash service.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

"Our" trash service....? Nice way to piggyback your free trash removal onto the OP's, Bob. But keep it quiet - he might not notice. ;)

Rico dJour

Oops! Typo..... besides I don't need a discount. I canceled my trash service & haul in to work. (j/k)

Can't cancel it....part of city water bill.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK