Concrete vibrator alternatives and other question

Orbital sander works fine.

Reply to
beecrofter

I have three 30" diameter Sonotubes of concrete to pour, each about 1/3 cu. yd. of concrete. I am going to rent one of those small dump truck looking rotating drums, and pick it up. From where I pick it up to where it will be poured is about 20 miles at freeway speed.

Two questions:

One, just how much agitation will concrete tolerate? I will have the forms ready, and it SHOULD go right in the forms on arrival. But it is about 100 degrees here or a little better on any given day. Do they add a little water to the mix or what?

Second, I want a nice finish on the Sonotubes as they will be the base for seats around the steel tube column they will be holding up. I don't have, and don't want to rent a concrete vibrator. Can I just glom something on to my rotohammer, and put it in the hammer mode and vibrate the outside of the Sonotube? Maybe put a small plate on it so that I can put it down into the concrete to vibrate out the bubbles?

Anyone ever done something like this?

The concrete and mixer is $150. Maybe for just a yard, I could call a truck to bring it in if the company would do such a thing on their way to or from another job.

Input appreciated.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Two things. Around here I think you could buy concrete cheaper than you could rent the mixer. Call a plant and see what you can work out.

Second, you said "From where I pick it up to where it will be poured is about 20 miles at freeway speed." How many miles away is it if you drive slower (or faster)?

20 miles. A cubic yard of concrete weighs 3,996# by my Pocket Ref, plus the weight of the mixer. I figure 65 ought to be about max.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Don't you have the on site mixer trucks out there? You know the ones that transport the concrete components unmixed and mix on demand on site with no leftovers?

Reply to
Pete C.

*Don't add water to the mix. It will weaken the concrete.
*With small concrete pours I have just used a pipe pushed into the mix as it is being poured and moved it up and down and around.
*Call a concrete company and see what they charge.

*Do you have any reinforcing steel in the columns?

Reply to
John Grabowski

Hi Steve,

Around here we have small load cement companies. They will deliver to you what you need as just a small load. I've used them for smaller projects like yours. I'm sure it's cheaper and here, at least, they mix/blend the cement for hot weather. Still, when the truck arrives you have to hustle to get it all poured before it starts to set up some.

Duane

Reply to
332WK

That type of mixer truck is the only type I use for batches larger than a couple of wheelbarrow loads and smaller than a 6 cu. yd. truckload. They are great.

Reply to
EXT

"Pete C." wrote

I have been up to my elbows in projects, problems, and real life for the past couple of weeks, and the next couple don't look any better. I live in a VERY small town, but there is a larger small town near. I am going to see if they can just have them bring it here and dump it into the sonotubes. Major problem is access. To a point, they can get it close, but it will be a wheelbarrow thing from there. No too bad, as it's only a yard total. Sonotubes will be staked, and the steel columns will have rebar on them, and will be attatched to an overhead framework and jacked. Essentially, they will be hanging from overhead supports, but stabilized within the Sonotubes. A little vibrating, and some finishing on the tops of the Sonotubes is all it will take. Once I take the forms down, I can brush on slurry to dress them up.

Trying to answer several posts here all at once. Just got back from a road trip and some work. Only to arrive to more work.

I love home repairs.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

A pumper truck will take care of the access issue, but it's probably a bit overkill for only a yard. Renting one of the powered wheel carts to move the concrete vs. an ordinary wheelbarrow would make it a lot easier.

Reply to
Pete C.