OT The answer to rising sea levels???

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7996965/Dutch-scientist-proposes-two-DAMS-France-England-Scotland-Norway.html
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 01:17:46 -0800 (PST), harry
So Ireland and the west coast of the UK and France get flooded, but 'inner Europe' will be OK? Cheaper and simpler just to evacuate Holland, and in particular close the Royal Netherlands Institute for Sea Research, and eliminate at least one source of daft ideas! I expect he'll be damming the Straits of Gibraltar next (as if it hasn't been suggested before!).
--

Chris

On Thursday, 13 February 2020 09:17:48 UTC, harry wrote:

Doesn't seem a very good or practical idea to me, what about shipping routes.
But at least I can post a map of possible sea level rise, which I found interesting.
http://flood.firetree.net/

Big canal round the side of the dam with locks.

--

Roger Hayter

On 13/02/2020 11:57, Roger Hayter wrote:

On a par with the bridge betwixt Scotland and Ireland
On 13/02/2020 11:21, whisky-dave wrote:

IIRC 7 metres is the estimate for the melting of the entire Greenland ice sheet and way beyond the most extreme "scientific" suggestions. Mind you not as bad as a BBC programme a few years ago which showed flooding above the pavement at Oxford Circus tube station. Google Earth tells me this is 120 metres above sea level.
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 21:15:04 +0000, newshound

^^^^^^ Feet?
--

Chris

Indeed - and much of east London is at best a couple of metres above sea level. Precarious even now . . .
Cheers, Rob
On 14/02/2020 08:00, RJH wrote:

Oops my memory, well corrected. But still a very large factor beyond worst case scenarios for this century.
On Tue, 18 Feb 2020 18:44:03 +0000, newshound

which are grossly and absurdly exaggerated anyway. Sea levels rose rapidly when the current ice age started to thaw, much faster than they are doing at present, but they've settled down to a slow and steady rate now, as the globe warms slowly and steadily towards the next interglacial period. https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/12/06/the-clever-ruse-of-rising-sea-levels/ https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/02/13/whats-natural-changing-sea-levels-part-1/ and the internationally recognised tidal gauge at Newlyn, a few miles from me https://www.psmsl.org/data/obtaining/stations/202.php Scroll down for the graphs and data, but no sign of any 'acceleration' - been linear from 1915 to present day.
--

Chris

27 metres according to OS map data.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On Friday, 14 February 2020 08:07:29 UTC, Tim+ wrote:

This seems to work very well.
http://www.satsig.net/maps/terrain-height-altitude-elevation.htm
On 13/02/2020 21:15, newshound wrote:

Inded. The latent heat in the greenland ice sheet would take millennia to melt at the sorts of energy imbalances even themost apocalyptic climate scientists dares predict.

The BBC has never been very good with facts or science.
IIRC 120 meter was the rise at the end of the last ice ace 'plus ou moins'.
https://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/briefs/gornitz_09/
It took 20,000 years to melt all that ice...
--
There’s a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.
On Friday, 14 February 2020 08:25:28 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

oses-two-DAMS-France-England-Scotland-Norway.html

oding

'.

What do yuo think caused the flooding that killed all those mamonths in doggerland what we now call the north sea.
Most religions have records of a flood but as yet we don;t know the cause, but we know it only lasted a couple of weeks rather than a slow rise of wat er over a few hundred years.

easons

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 03:35:30 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggerland

Do we? Evidence where?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sea_deluge_hypothesis Supposedly the explanation for Noah's flood - 7,000 years ago the Med broke through into the Black Sea through the Bosphorus, causing water levels to rise rapidly, taking about a year.
7,000 years ago is recent enough to be retained in oral history and tradition and incorporated into most religious accounts, as you say, whereas for example the flooding of the Med itself through the straits of Gibraltar at 5.3MY ago is too far back. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanclean_flood
--

Chris

But doesn't explain how it ended up in chinese mythology too.

Different time, different flood. It's stretching credibility beyond breaking point to assume that all the floods of mythology happened at the same time due to the same cause. http://tinyurl.com/qvok6y2
--

Chris

On 15/02/2020 07:47, Chris Hogg wrote:

Yeah and people have found a rock formation in the Near East that they swear is Noah's Ark.

I think that finding historical explanations for myths really unconvincing, like saying that Atlantis was Santorini in the Med.
--
Max Demian

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 12:09:53 +0000, Max Demian

Quite. Sometimes there's geological evidence for a flood, but linking it in time with an undated and undateable myth is beyond credible.
Many of the floods in the past were probably related to the onset of the end of the last ice age (that we're still in, technically), when sea levels rose at a rapid rate (they're still rising now, but much slower), land bridges were overwhelmed, such as the dam across the Dover straits flooding what is now the English channel (plenty of sea-floor scouring still detectable), as well as the Bosphorus - Black Sea flood, and ice dams broke such as the Lake Agassiz floods in North America. Only those of the Holocene (say the last 10,000 years), have any chance of being recorded in human mythology.
--

Chris