Dead fluorescent fitting?

My kitchen strip light has stopped working. I've replaced with known working starters and known working tubes from other known working lights, and it doesn't come on. Symptoms are the starter will occasionally spark, and when the starter sparks the tube will occasionally try to strike, eventually, lighting if I turn the wall switch on and off many times. This morning I counted and got to 50 on/offs at one second intervals before the tube struck and stayed on.
Is this a dead fitting? Dead ballast? Dead something-else? From previous threads it would appear to be cheaper to replace the fitting than to try and replace the ballast. I think it was new in the mid-1990s.
jgh
On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 23:58:16 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@mdfs.net wrote:

more likely just a bad contact somewhere. If the ballast goes oc, which is rare, you won't see any starter action at all.
NT
tabb wrote:

That could be an issue, upstair's overflow was running continously last year, and eventually penetrated my plasterwork, so could well have got into the wiring. I haven't tackled any of it yet as it's pointless replastering until I've got the emergency bodge repair to the roof replaced first.
jgh
Oh, could be corrosion then. I had a cheap woolies fitting with this issue. In that ones case if you took the double fitting indoors for a couple of hours it worked, but out in the cold shed, it was just not going to strike. In the end I found some crimped on connections that had gone all grey manky due to condensation. Soldering it seemed to allow it to strike, though it always was a little naff if the weather was very cold. . I never did find out why this connection did not manifest itself as arcing or heat, but then, they only cost a few quid.. grin. Brian
--
----- --

If you like the look of it OK, it might makes sense to replace all the electrics with an electronic ballast. Would obviously need some internal rewiring. They are more efficient, give better starting, and likely longer tube life.
--
*If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before

On Thursday, 13 February 2020 15:32:27 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Would make a good bit more sense to disconnect the ballast and fit an LED tube.
NT

+1. Piece of piss to fit.
--
Adam

If all you are after is the most basic illumination, possibly.
--
*A cartoonist was found dead in his home. Details are sketchy.*

On Friday, 14 February 2020 10:58:53 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I see you're talking rubbish again.

Good to know you are 100% happy with the quality of LEDs. And what they look like.
LEDs are often uncomfortable to view directly. And a replacement tube made from lots of point sources - unlike a florry which is even along its entire length. And available in a variety of colour temperatures, etc. Not just white and warm white.
Oh - even a high output LED replacement produces less light than a florry. 4000 as opposed to a decent tri-phosphate one at 5200 lumens. And costs about 5 times as much.
--
*If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Funny, I replaced the tube in our kitchen fitting with an LED. She hasn't remarked on it being dimmer - and certainly I haven't seen a problem
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

That does not always account for the lumens at final floor finish as there is no reflector in the LED tubes
--
Adam

FWIW, I replaced a fluorescent tube with an LED. The only difference I could detect was a slightly different colour - slightly whiter. And instant on and a quarter of the running costs - but 3 times the price IIRC.
--
Cheers, Rob

"a quarter of the running costs" ????? Good fluorescent not very much less efficient than LEDs, certainly nowhere near four times worse.
--
Chris Green
·

On Saturday, 15 February 2020 16:18:05 UTC, Chris Green wrote:

IME and IMHO domestic linear fluorescent was typically installed at well above necessary lumens.
NT
On Saturday, 15 February 2020 18:04:27 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Kitchens of the time did tend to be rather brown and avocado, though.
Owain
On Saturday, 15 February 2020 18:24:50 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

hard to believe people thought that was stylish isn't it :)
I remember a smallish room with 2x 125w 8 footers. Painful. And sometimes 2 rooms lit by one tube run through a hole in the wall. Luxurious days.
NT

You can very rarely have too much light. And if it is for some things, fit a dimmer.
Perhaps you never venture outside?
--
*It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.

On Sunday, 16 February 2020 13:41:36 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

certainly not my experience

??

no thanks.

Perhaps you enjoy talking twaddle

You never relax in a room? Like perhaps watch TV or listen to music, and don't want full level lighting for that?

Good to know you have such an appreciation of technology.
--
*I have my own little world - but it's OK...they know me here*