28W 2D fluorescent tube starter, bulb or ballast problem

My 28W 2D fluorescent bulkhead lamp began flickering for prolonged periods before starting, a few weeks (maybe months) ago. It finally stopped working altogether the other day.

I took out the bulb and noted that it was blackened in places, so I made th e assumption that it was shot. I ordered a new one, fitted it, but the lamp was still dead. I then swapped the starter (will any universal one within the right Wattage range suffice?), but still no joy. I then checked all wir ing connections for continuity- all fine.

By a process of elimination, I now suspect the ballast, but I'm not sure ho w to check it. It looks to be in good shape (no leaks or burnt/melted bits) . I checked the resistance across the two terminals and found it to be arou nd 65 Ohms- does this tell us anything other than that there is electrical continuity between the terminals? Is there a definitive test to ascertain w hether the ballast is good or broken?

Help appreciated. Regards. Jim.

Reply to
Jim Walsh

s before starting, a few weeks (maybe months) ago. It finally stopped worki ng altogether the other day.

the assumption that it was shot. I ordered a new one, fitted it, but the la mp was still dead. I then swapped the starter (will any universal one withi n the right Wattage range suffice?), but still no joy. I then checked all w iring connections for continuity- all fine.

how to check it. It looks to be in good shape (no leaks or burnt/melted bit s). I checked the resistance across the two terminals and found it to be ar ound 65 Ohms- does this tell us anything other than that there is electrica l continuity between the terminals? Is there a definitive test to ascertain whether the ballast is good or broken?

Most likely a bad starter. Otherwise you'll need to troubleshoot it properl y.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If it's an iron ballast, then it's just a choke - so end to end low resistance (65 ohms seems in the right sort of magnitude) and high (infinite) resistance between case and coil.

If it's electronic, then no easy way to be sure.

Reply to
Tim Watts

ods before starting, a few weeks (maybe months) ago. It finally stopped wor king altogether the other day.

e the assumption that it was shot. I ordered a new one, fitted it, but the lamp was still dead. I then swapped the starter (will any universal one wit hin the right Wattage range suffice?), but still no joy. I then checked all wiring connections for continuity- all fine.

e how to check it. It looks to be in good shape (no leaks or burnt/melted b its).. I checked the resistance across the two terminals and found it to be around 65 Ohms- does this tell us anything other than that there is electr ical continuity between the terminals? Is there a definitive test to ascert ain whether the ballast is good or broken?

other than connect a known good tube. But with a starter it will be an iron lump.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr