Dead fluorescent fitting?

It's trivial.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

IME and IMHO domestic linear fluorescent was typically installed at well above necessary lumens.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Kitchens of the time did tend to be rather brown and avocado, though.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

hard to believe people thought that was stylish isn't it :)

I remember a smallish room with 2x 125w 8 footers. Painful. And sometimes 2 rooms lit by one tube run through a hole in the wall. Luxurious days.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The different colour may not matter one jot to some. But not all. So wise to mention it.

BTW, I'd love to see some accurate lab tests which give the difference in efficiency between the best modern florries and LEDs. Per lumen of light in the working area. Which would include a reflector if needed.

Too many of them seem like advertising figures to me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depends on whose advertising you believe. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you are non critical of light quality in general, like perhaps most of the population, fine.

But some may well appreciate decent lighting.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah - there we have it. You like working in the gloom. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can very rarely have too much light. And if it is for some things, fit a dimmer.

Perhaps you never venture outside?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And profit:-) Swap 16 600x600 florescent panels for LED panels and everyone comments how much brighter it is.

The light meter I place on the desk often says different if the fluorescents are working when I swap them.

Half the power and someone has to pay for my holidays.

Reply to
ARW

Some LED lights I've tried have been hopeless. Others are fine.

I've swapped some Florescent tubes for LEDs and find them excellent. The Ikea Tradfri bulbs are great light wise but a but 'flakey' when it comes to Alexa integration- it seems to be a SW update somewhere in the chain. I've a Philips Hue in a bedside lamp which is excellent but they don't come in higher outputs - so enough for a bedside lamp etc but not for a main light.

I've tried some of the LED replacements for 40W G9 bulbs. The LEDs were claimed to give the equivalent (in some cases higher) lumen output for a lower power consumption but the actual/perceived output was more than disappointing.

Conversely, I've tried replace some smaller G series (12V) bulbs with LED ones and the actual/perceived output was far better. Ditto some MR

12V spot lights. The various 12V ones were quite cheap ones.

I like a good, bright, light- especially when working or reading etc.

I think one of the problems is LED manufacturers/sellers aren't always as honest as they could be re the actual light (Lumen) output. They make claims like 'equivalent to a 40W bulb' but, if you compare the lumen output, they are anything but.

Reply to
Brian Reay

What I suspected. LEDs often look brighter when you just look at them. But it's the light level on the work surface or whatever that matters.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think you're just turning into Rodney.

OK, just this once. LED interior lighting is what at least 99% of people use now. We're good with it. If you want to advocate neon, filament or whatever, who cares.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I do, relative to most, but that has nothing to do with what lighting I'd recommend.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

certainly not my experience

??

no thanks.

Perhaps you enjoy talking twaddle

Reply to
tabbypurr

You've actually counted this? Or just guessing based on what you think?

So all you want is simple compliance with your views - no discussion allowed. Are you one of those greenies everyone on here seems to dislike?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You never relax in a room? Like perhaps watch TV or listen to music, and don't want full level lighting for that?

Good to know you have such an appreciation of technology.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Obviously you're just another trolling Rodney.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Most would simply answer a point, giving their view. That they can't and resort to your sort of reply says much about them. Unless if was funny.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The 600 x 600 ceiling panels have to the be worst culprit. As you know the diffusers on the fluorescents on those grid tiles fittings mean that in the daytime you cannot always tell if they are on or off until you stand under them.

Now don't get me wrong a properly designed LED installation is actually very good.

A good example of where LED wins no matter what sort of shit you throw in is IMHO my parents garage. I added a contactor so that when the garage door is opened the lights switch on. Apart from parking the cars and storing bottles and tools in there they do not need quality light. They had the old T12 lamps in their fittings. It was easier and cheaper to just put LED tubes in them as the ballasts started to fail. Instant turn on in the cold and they are happy.

Of course by the time I am actually sent in to swap the ceiling panels in many offices the old lights are in need of the diffusers cleaning and require new many lamps fitting so the LEDs wins on the customer view of the final look.

I am also not a big fan of LED floodlights. My 35W CDM-T fitting has been up for over 20 years and has only needed a couple of lamps changing. I bet you need a 50W LED flood to match it's lumens and you will not match it for colour rendering. It's lasted longer than my marriage, my Dyson vacuum cleaner (TBH so could a cheap tungsten lamp bought from a car boot sale) and the stray cat I took in but it will still outlive an LED replacement.

Reply to
ARW