OT scare stories

Never been to walmart as for ASDA a bulgarian friend of mine worked there and I go in about once every 6 months they seem to be cheaper for the braun toothbrush heads than sainsburys are at the time. Sometimes I pop in after going to B&Q as they are opposite and I have a look round see what's on offer if anything.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Doesn't that depend on what you are watching ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

How do you think Londoners feel about "Eastenders" then, when this is the way London is being projected to the world ? The last time I watched it most of the characters both white and black were all miserable and spent most of the time shouting at one another and saying "leave it out"! How would you like them to make a programme about where you live where you're all miserable and you all shout at each other all the time ?

How about Greg Wallace ? Greg Wallace used to sell fruit and veg to posh people so in the eyes of the BBC he qualifies as working class. He also has a mockney accent. So when the BBC want to do a series about factories, which might otherwise be interesting they use a former fruit and veg seller with a mockney accent so as to stand in as working class. When many people who worked in factories were Northerners or from the Midlands.

So how comes you're not jumping up and down about Greg Wallace ?

Here in London we have our own TV Channel London Live owned by a Russian Alexander Lebedev. To watch this channel after 9 pm you would think the only things Londoners were interested in were the Kray Twins, modern gangsters and footbal hooligans, the latter usually featuring Danny Dyer in some role or other. Either in films or documentaries.

And how comes all the people in sofa advertisements live in houses with such big rooms ?

michael adams

michael adams

1952 in my case. My brother was in the navy and there was a Pakistani warship visiting the UK. My brother invited one of the Pakistani ratings to stay with us. Not sure whether he got offered eggs and bacon for brekker.
Reply to
Tim Streater

You're simply of a certain age.

The majority of your life you'll have presumably been familiar with a certain demographic as reflected in say "Heartbeat"* and that's the demographic you feel most comfortable with.

That obviously doesn't apply to everyone of your generation who may have had wider experience; but it clearly applies to you which is all that matters in this context.

Whether the demographic as being reflected on TV is accurate or not simply won't be as much of an issue for people who are younger than you are. All the "post Heartbeat" generations, you could call them.

You'll never convince people of younger generations of the validity of your opinions, just as they'll never convince you of theirs.

This is something which is sometimes overlooked ISTM. The right of people to hold opinions which while currently unfashionable, are perfectly in keeping with their life experiences as actually experienced by them. Rather than having opinions and attitudes foisted on them by others who claim to know better.

Whether they have the right act on those opinions, is of course another matter.

michael adams

  • Or "Midsomer Murders" until its revamp.

michael adams

Yep

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

What newspaper do you suggest?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Well, I've looked at his website but, in the absence of a search facility, I think I'll leave it until I've got a year or two with nothing else to do ...

Reply to
Terry Casey

Yes it means I've had time to learn a lot.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

How can a man in a wheelchair do a journalist's job without assistance?

Reply to
harry

He was not and never can be British, ergo a false image. Like watching football matches. Just two teams of West Africans playing one another.

Reply to
harry

Exactly the problem. On what basis were these people selected for the photograph?

Reply to
harry

The West Highland Free Press is always good for a laugh.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Conduct interviews or gather information over a telephone while sat at their desks in the office ?

Copy stuff off of the Internet, again sat at the desk.

Watch world events, even sporting events on a big TV screen in the office as a lot of journalists do before churning out the necessary 2000 words.

What exactly do you think journalists actually do Harry ?

Stand outside Buckingham Palace or No 10, microphone in hand when nothing's happening ? So that people like you can then complain about what a big waste of money it all is ?

michael adams

michael adams

Not really.

All that happens is that you increasingly focus on those aspects of your experience which tend to re-inforce your existing attitudes.

Which isn't to say that those attutudes are necessarily fixed for life

Neverthless as a person gets older there's more often a tendency for a person to become increasingly dissillusioned with life than to become increasingly optimistic about the future. Which can then colour the way they choose to see things.

Or to put it more bluntly if you had more things in life to feel happy about, even if only as a result of making a conscious effort, then you wouldn't feel the need to be worrying about such relatively trivial issues as to who, or what appears on the TV.

Patronising ..../.Moi ?...

michael adams

michael adams

don't turn it on.

Reply to
critcher

This article mentions ethnic over representation on tv:

Too many black and Asian faces on TV, says BBC director Samir Shah

Broadcasters have overcompensated for their lack of executives from ethnic minorities by putting too many black and Asian faces on screen, a leading television industry figure said last night.

Samir Shah, a member of the BBC's board of directors, said this had led to a "world of deracinated coloured people flickering across our screens - to the irritation of many viewers and the embarrassment of the very people such actions are meant to appease.

Pamela

We can't stand the place, but have to go once in a while. If we want school trousers, shirts, "disposable" holiday clothes, etc. for the kids, there is no point paying for quality items and the other supermarkets around here have a very limited range and always seem to be out of stock of at least one of the sizes we need.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Death in Paradise

Don Warrington who plays the Commissioner always looks as if he has been dusted in white talcum powder

(just view the video on that page)

Reply to
alan_m

I saw a clip the other night of a policemen stopping a car and reporting both the driver and the passenger - the driver because he wasn't insured for the car and the passenger for knowingly allowing his learner-driver son to drive it without insurance. The passenger/vehicle owner then started kicking up a fuss about the officer being racist and only stopping and checking them because they were black. I thought it was quite funny as the officer was black too!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker