news of Dataw

This is a more relevant site:

look at the pictures - anyone know her address?

Hurricane Damage Photos - Dataw Island - 10/9/2016 at 1:30pm

Last night, a team of security officers and myself received permission and returned to Dataw Island to staff the gate and begin assessing the storm damage.

Today, we have begun our first evaluation. Power is out island-wide and many trees and limbs have fallen.

We are going street-by-street to photograph visibly significant damage; please note that we are NOT photographing every home, only those that appear damaged. The images are being posted on our website,

We ask that you exercise patience as we execute this operation. The downed trees present a challenge traversing the island, and our team will photograph and post images as quickly as possible. If your street has not yet been posted, please continue to check back periodically for updates. If your street has been completed but your home has not been posted, it is because our crew did not see significant damage on your property.

At 10:00 am, Governor Nikki Haley gave a press conference where she continued to urge residents to wait for the "all clear" before attempting to return home. At this point in the recovery, hospitals are not yet operational and emergency response crews are limited; many streets are impassable and bridges are still being inspected before they can be deemed safe for travel; as well, the power is still out and resources are limited.

We thank you for your patience during this process, and will continue to keep you updated.

Click here for photos of the hurricane damage across Dataw Island.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

I don't see her house in those photos, I was thinking of publishing the site for those of us who have been worried for days now. I don't see a sign of the flooding I feared. I don't want to be too quickly optimistic, but cautiously I wait a note or a phone call.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Agreed Nancy. I suspect she is fine, just without power and cable right now likely. Based on the pictures, a lot of trees fell but generally the houses maintained structural integrity it looks like?

Just like I don't see Gary posting, but i suspect he's without cable or power, but otherwise fine.

Reply to
cshenk

I think Gary lives on the bottom floor. And at his complex, IIRC, the ground floor is partly below ground level. So if there was any flooding in his neighborhood then he probably got wet.

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

You're close, Steve. I live on the bottom floor of a two-story building. Underneath my bottom floor is the basement. The basement is partly below and partly above ground level. Nobody lives in the basement. It's an open space (2100 sq feet). Mostly empty but sometimes used temporarily for company storage. It also contains the two giant water heaters for my building (24 apartments).

Anyway, I live on the bottom apartment above the basement. It's about 6 feet above ground. I walk up 10 steps to get to my front door. No flooding problems here.

Reply to
Gary

Then the two floors are 4,200 sq ft... divided by 24 apartments if all equal size makes them each about the size of a roomy toilet (175 sq ft).

Reply to
Brooklyn1

That's bigger than *YOUR* HUD subsidized apartment, Shelly!

Reply to
Stagger Lee