pamela

Exactly so.

Reply to
pamela

The natives call it Bristle

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

En el artículo , Indy Jess John escribió:

I've also heard it pronounced Brissle.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

And 'Brizzle'.

Reply to
Richard Heathfield

As in the "teach yourself the Bristolian dialect" book "Krek Waiters Peak Brissle" :-)

Having been to Bristol University (and *no-one* ever called it The University of Bristol) I got used to the fact that true-bred Brissles add an L sound to any word that ends in a vowel sound - "the areal of a circle", "the university libraryl", Leighl Woods (across the suspension bridge from Clifton) etc.

It is said (and I'm sure that this is apocryphal) that Bristol used to be called Bristowe but was renamed to tie in with the way that the locals pronounced the name :-)

Reply to
NY

There's an intrusive L sound that gets added to many words otherwise ending in a vowel (particularly an a or o sound).

Reply to
Whiskers

Shut the windol Barbaral.

Reply to
musika

Yes. I was told that a policeman was delighted when he got promoted from foot patrol to the areal pandal car

True story, as told to me by his wife.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

This says:

Brycgstow (Old English "the place at the bridge") was founded by 1000

It doesn't say when or why it became "Bristol".

Reply to
Peter Duncanson [BrE]

So is a "unisex toilet" a place where students have sex or place where uniform sex takes place, or can you just do your hair there?

Reply to
Robert Bannister

What would the difference be, or do you pronounce the T in "gristle, thistle, whistle"?

Reply to
Robert Bannister

and pistol

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

??? Surely everyone pronounces the T in "pistol". Now "pestle" is another story, although "nestle, wrestle" are definitely T-less.

Reply to
Robert Bannister

:-))

Reply to
ARW

Someone _younger_ than me on usenet!

Common there in 1979 too.

Andy (Goodricke / Bio)

Reply to
Vir Campestris

The University of York is in York, Yorkshire, England. York University is in Toronto, Canada.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Common at Thames Poly in the early '90s...

Reply to
Adrian