[OT] Saying "uni" for university

That rather depends how many decades you consider to be recent. I can recall it being in use half a century ago.

Reply to
Nightjar

I first heard it in the UK in the 1960's, but only from people my age who did not go to university.

I never heard it at university or afterwards from university students or graduates, until around 20 years ago.

Janet

Reply to
Janet

Not sure it was the result of any deliberate intent but the converted Polys tended to be X University whereas the those created into the 60s tended to follow the University of X. Probably simply following a pattern of the name denoting an attachment to a vaguely pleasant sounding market town ? a sort of unconscious marketing. (see University of Warwick which is nearer Coventry) When the Polys became 'Unis' all the good names were already taken and also Poly names tended to be of the X Polytechnic form.

Reply to
DJC

Unknown to me in Cambridge in the late 60s.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Nope, it's how living languages work. Television becomes TV, university becomes uni, Erasmus becomes Ras, David becomes Dave, Jonathon becomes Jon, then national health service becomes the NHS, the Conservative Party becomes the Tories etc etc etc.

Reply to
Slomo

And in the early 1970s (same location).

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I thought it was "The Yooni, Glasgow"?

Reply to
mcp

"Uni" is far easier to pronounce after a lengthy stay at the Student Union bar.

Like pebbles in a river, words get all their rough edges smoothed off over time (alcohol is an accelerant).

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I think you have the last one the wrong way round. The Tories became the Conservative Party.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

Bally good thought, me old china.

Reply to
Tony Cooper

I was familiar with "Uni" in German in 1960, but didn't really come across in English till I came to Australia. Even so, those decades are really only thought of as "recent" to someone of my age.

Reply to
Robert Bannister

Ah, that clarifies something. I had no idea it was a non-UK term.

Reply to
Peter Moylan

It's interesting to see that most of the responses are confined to alt.usage.english, although I don't recognise pamela as a regular in that group.

Some people trim groups because they don't like cross-posting, but I think the main factor is that as soon as someone responds from Google Groups it hijacks the thread. I suppose (I haven't checked) that GG hides the list of newsgroups.

Reply to
Peter Moylan

And "La Ciudad de Nuestra Señora Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula" get shortened to just its first and last letter....

If anyone used "uni" when I was in college (and I'm not sure anyone did), I suspect it would have been understood as short for "uniform"....r

Reply to
RH Draney

At my university (The University of Newcastle) an all-staff memo was once circulated insisting on the "of". Supposedly this was because of a clash of names with another university in England. I thought that was a rather weak excuse, because name duplication across countries is not uncommon. It didn't take long for people to go back to saying Newcastle University.

Among students, it was just "the university", because there's only one university in city. And of course in some other settings it's just "Newcastle".

Reply to
Peter Moylan

"Neighbours" seems to have been far more influential in the UK than it ever was in Australia. It seems, for example, to have been responsible for the belief in the UK that Australians end sentences with a rising tone?

Reply to
Peter Moylan

"The word "Tory" derives from the Middle Irish word tóraidhe; modern Irish tóraí: outlaw, robber or brigand, from the Irish word tóir, meaning "pursuit", since outlaws were "pursued men". It was originally used to refer to an Irish outlaw and later applied to Confederates or Royalists in arms. The term was thus originally a term of abuse, "an Irish rebel", before being adopted as a political label in the same way as Whig."

Which just hoes to show how Blair's Britain destroyed learning and education.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its an Irishism and all, an all...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In the other (older) Newcastle there was nearly a City University of Newcastle upon Tyne !

Reply to
charles

That's pretty much my experience too.

Reply to