GY 560 frequency counter.

As I was experiencing difficulties with 2.4Ghz senders, I needed to be able to measure the signal strength. So I bought one of the type specified in the header. First impressions are not too good. The unit eats 9V batteries at an unbelievable rate. It is sold as having a signal strength capability, maybe, but IME the unit will only read a 2.4GGz signal from a video sender(with a range of 50M) at a distance of 5cm. No, I haven't put a tuned aerial on it yet! What is of interest is that the unit reads signals of 300MHz inside the house which I suspect is the radiated signal from the network. Outside it finds a 400MHz signal, from where I don't know. So all in all, not a terribly good buy. I really want a spectrum analyser, but can't persuade myself to spend real money to buy one. It has proved that the 2.4GHZ senders I was having trouble with are poor, so that's something. No, I wouldn't buy it again.

Reply to
Capitol

As you've indicated yourself, a frequency counter is not the right tool for this job. Maybe you could *hire* a spectrum analyser? Or borrow one from a local *proper* ham radio operator? I've got three or four of the damn things here but none of them are exactly "portable."

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Won't be cheap and i doubt that many hams have such equipment as that. What the problem is i very much suspect is frequency congestion which is very prevalent in the overcrowded and used 2.4 Ghz part of the band.

The strong signals on 400 ish MHz may well be a TETRA base station but it might be something else depending on the accuracy of your measuring system.

Which as other posters have alluded to is wrong for what you want to do!.....

Reply to
tony sayer