Lidl deals - any point getting out of bed?

Lidl are doing a 43 inch smart TV for £199 tomorrow. Is there any point rocking up at 8am and hoping to get one? Or will they have 2 per store which will be bought by staff?

Reply to
R D S

It's a Toshiba.

Reply to
R D S

R: "The pallets I saw being shipped out I think had 8-10 TV's on and it looked like at least two pallets per store." N: "What RDC/SSC are you at?" R: "North West area." ... N: "We were told on Wednesday that under no circumstances can stock be held back by staff, and that if we want to buy something (assuming we are actually working that day) they they will give us break time to go outside and queue with the customers until the shop opens. Also, it has been confirmed that discount cards will not work on these specific items. You can use your discount card if you are doing other shopping in the same transaction, but no discount will be applied to Black Friday items (like when we do shopping now, discount doesn't work on carrier bags)."

Theo

Amazon reviews of that tv suggest poor build quality, and poor sound (no surprise there)

Reply to
Mike

Interesting. Despite getting their special offer emails, I've not seen a TV on sale before.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Jim GM4DHJ ... explained :

That is to be expected from modern flat screen TV's, there is no space for speakers. I ended up having to buy a soundbar for our first flat screen, an LG, the sound was so very poor. Our second one, a Samsung plasma was deeper and sounded OK. As it is wall inner corner mounted, depth of the set wasn't really important. Our LG bought a few weeks ago, has the best audio yet from the sets own speakers.

Unfortunately the new LG has a problem with the Freeview Catchup service in the program Guide - It looses it completely if it is put to standby and it needs to be retuned every time it is powered up, to get Catchup back into the Guide.

The issue seems to be signal strength related. Reduce the signal strength with an attenuator and the Catchup becomes more reliable the weaker the signal, but the weaker the signal the more channels are lost from the line up. Catchup works best, at a point where the signal is so weak that all the HD channels are lost..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Dave Plowman (News) explained on 23/11/2018 :

It was either in or I saw the ad for it, in our local Lidl on Tuesday. I only spotted it because I have just bought a new LG.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Depends on the make. I do know that they may well be getting rid of them before the compulsory accessibility rules come in later on. They have to all have speech these days for the minimal operation of the set. How much enforcement of this will go on is debatable though, but anyone who does not need this may find in the next few months before the new models come out that there are bargains to be had. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Fair play to them, they had about half a dozen, maybe a couple more. There was no chance of getting a look in though unless you were the type to queue in the street.

So so far today i've saved 200 quid! :)

Reply to
R D S

When someone says that about the sales I always remember this from when I was a nipper.

It?s only a saving if someone was planning or needed something anyway,otherwise they have been persuaded to join in with the sellers aim of getting money from the buyers bank account into theirs,often with something that is close to but quite on the button to what they really want.

GH

Reply to
Marland

All TVs have crap sound. How could they sell you a sound bar if it was OK?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm waiting for someone to make a TV where you have to buy an additional screen too, to get acceptable results.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's an odd size to me. Too small for a main set, and too large for a kitchen or bedroom, etc. Probably why Lidl have got a job lot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have 2 top of the range Samsungs - sound quality without a sound bar is appalling (well, the TVs are only 1.5" thick or so...).

Reply to
JoeJoe

Each to their own, we've a 42 as our main set, I wouldn't want one much bigger.

Reply to
R D S

Our main set is only 32" - it's quite adequate

Reply to
charles

Toshiba don't make TVs, they are just re-branded.

Hitachi TVs are the Turkish rebranding of Vestal products?

Reply to
alan_m

While my Samsung flat screen TV of some age hasn't got particularly good sound[1] the recently purchased Samsung 4k 43" (approx £400) for my mother has a very good sound quality. This didn't however stop the salesperson suggesting that the sound experience could be much improved with the purchase of a sound bar costing more than the TV.

I think that the generalisation of poor sound from a flat screen speakers is not always true.

[1] for the past 2 to 3 decades I've been using a 5 or 7 channel AV amp with a sound round arrangement of speakers.

Maybe the manufacturers have gone a long way to solving the sound quality problems from flat speakers.

Surely catchup has nothing to do with the received signal from an aerial and everything to do with your Internet connection?

Reply to
alan_m

So was 14" - once. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Never mind, Jim. If you work hard, you'll get out of that tenement one day. Sorry to mention a kitchen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)