Lidl deals - any point getting out of bed?

Don't you remember when 21" was considered too large for main viewing.

Reply to
alan_m

+1

My mothers' 21 CRT TV recently failed and I had problems persuading her that something as "massive" as a 43" flat screen would be a suitable replacement. She was persuaded when I cut out a piece of card the same size as a 16:9 43" flat screen (including bezel) and showing her that it was actually smaller than the front of the CRT TV that had just failed.

Reply to
alan_m

why do you say it;s too small ? mines 43" hasd it a good few years now, for the frontroom was looking for a 36 but they didn't have any.

All that;s happened is that screens have been getting cheaper, so in order to make a profit they've been making them larger. It wasn't so long ago that you could go much beyond 36 inch. I wonder when the 55" curved will be considered too small for a lounge.

Reply to
whisky-dave

My TV's sound is OK better than the previous ones I've had including the hitachi 24" CRT I bought in 1988.

I bought a sound bar so it could sit int eh front on the TV and could be used with my iDevices as it was bluetooth, I don't use it much, the only time really is when I have frioends over watching a film or music video and even then the TVs sound is still better at lower volumes and the sound bar is. But then again it was only £90 I wasnt going to pay £100s for a set of speakers.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I assumed by your jealousy you don't have one in your tenement?

I'm sure that makes some sense to you. Others can only guess.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

QED.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I rememember a school friend having a 4" radio/cassette/TV combo.

A /bit/ small for programming the Microtan, but we had no better

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

There has to come a pinch point where TVs get bigger than will fit into the averagr London flat.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Good to know you are so obsessed with dick size. Other will likely be in no doubt as to why.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Local Tesco have got in on the act. Pile of 'budget brand' TVs about the same size for rather less.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Short throw projectors are available that only need to be about a foot from the wall.

Reply to
invalid

Same here - anything bigger becomes the point of focus in my 5m x 3.5m lounge, and it becomes a TV room. If I had a lounge bigger than 7m x 4m I might give a larger set a go . . .

Reply to
RJH

So was my 9" high definition 405 line set, once. I have upgraded since :) Even got this crazy thing they call colour. And I don't mean those filters that are green at the bottom, pink in the middle & blue at the top.

I don't see any point in oversize overprice sets, it's not as if tv resolution is that great or the program material worth watching. And fwiw a lot of people read oversize sets as a statement of insecurity, rightly or wrongly.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No they do not.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that?s saying something.

Reply to
87213

But not at all unusual.

That's wrong with small flats and with those who rent a room.

and too large for a

That's wrong with many bedrooms.

Unlikely, aldi had some that size as a recent special buy.

Reply to
87213

You presumably choose the size you want by the distance you sit from the TV? They're not an expensive device these days taking into account how much they get used, and an expected life?

If you are one of those who feels TV not worth watching, why comment on the nuts and bolts of doing so?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'll add that to the long list of the other things you don't understand then Wodney?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

alan_m formulated on Friday :

I am guessing the Catchup schedule comes from the transmitter, though of course the actual contents comes from the Internet connection. I am guessing again, that it has some issue with being able to grab the Catchup data, when first switched on, hence none of it appears.

There is no problem at all with playing BBCi, ITV Hub etc.. I have fast fibre all the way to the back of the TV..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

JoeJoe formulated on Friday :

You cannot expect Hi-Fi quality sound out of a TV, but TV's have always varied in the sound quality they can output and the distortion they introduce. Our first LG plasma was terrible, I ended up having to buy a sound system to get decent sound from it. The Samsung plasma bought to replace it was acceptable. The big screen LG I bought a few weeks ago is much, much better - good clear speech and plenty of spare volume, with not much distortion. It is normally on a about 20%. It is quite thick case and the speakers seem to face back at 45 deg, at either end. Thickness is not a problem as though I have it wall mounted, it has a unit several inches below it and it is across a room corner.

I had it in mind to expect to buy it a soundbar, but there is no need.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I agree, but maybe 43" would work in a dining room. We had a 'massive'

26" CRT set originally in the living room, and that was considered big at the time. As sets have become shallower and the picture quality and detail has improved we have seen a need/ a possibility for larger and larger sets.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield