University Research

Hello members of Garden Banter,

I am a student studying Product Design at Salford University. For my major project I am researching into gardening.

My aim is to design something that will make an aspect of gardening easier whether that be carrying large loads or tools to storage of gardening equipment.

I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for my research.

Do you find any aspect of gardening painful or physically draining?

What problems do you come across whilst gardening?

Are there any existing garden tools or equipment you struggle with or feel like the design should be changed?

Any suggestions for problems that need solving would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks,

Alex

Reply to
AlexStudent

and usenet international news group rec.gardens.

Treading a very well worn path here. Did you by any chance check the previous five or six questionaries offered by previous students?

Ok but there are better ways of collecting this data. But those would require some effort on your part so they are not so attractive.

Yes. It mainly occurs as I walk past the lemon tree. Afterwards I feel much better.

Oh, you mean that a wizz-bang labour saving device could relieve? No.

Minor problems; red-bellied black snakes, green-arsed ants, rats, fruit bats, pillaging possums and parrots. Major problems; eastern brown snakes, thunder storms, heat and humidity in the summer, frost and icy winds in the winter.

No, they are excellent in their simplicity. Or did you want me to write your term paper too?

I presume you mean your problems as you are the one asking the questions. If it were me I would first establish in my own mind that the opportunity or deficiency that I was looking to remedy actually exists. Secondly I would determine if sending a survey out was likely to shed any light on it or if there are much better methods of gathering this information. Thirdly I would put much more effort into the design of said survey if in fact it seems to be required.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Teaching experience suggests this is an unfeasibly broad topic for a student project. In order to promote completion, research topics should be as narrow as your instructors permit.

Suggested question: do successful innovations in gardening tools originate in the current tools industry or from outsiders?

Reply to
Don Phillipson

yet another type of garden pest?

Reply to
Pico Rico

There is already one. A killfile. I'm seriously considering zapping garden banter but I suppose that would be overkill.....

Reply to
Garrapata