OT Motorway speed cameras

Rather my point. And "Draconian legislation" since 2015 is squarely on the Tories. Not sure why blaming a Labour Mayor for one city makes sense.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Here is pretty good at knowing speed limits - IOS and Android. The maps are regularly updated. I usually keep within speed limit, so camera warnings are not very important.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I use HERE too. I like it's "driving" mode - which I couldn't seem to find on other apps.

If it could be configured to start in Driving Mode, it would be note- perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

But you wouldn't be driving at 86mph and watching for speed cameras if the tyres were flat. The only difference in reported speed should be between a new tyre and one with legal minimum tread - approx 2% difference.

Reply to
alan_m

I haven't noticed it do that. But it occasionally picks up signs on very oblique slip roads.

This one does it pretty reliably.

Bob Eager

Mine is definitely based on the camera, or it wouldn't behave the way it does (very occasional mistake, and it gets the temporary speed limits on motorways right). But it's clear it uses something else as well.

And it intones ""Caution" when a speed camera is coming up.

(Ford)

Reply to
Bob Eager

My rather expensive (new) German car came with a satnav that would only accept 4 digit postcodes. Ie, totally useless in the UK. But got an pirated software fix for it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Er, yes, but that only applies if the thing rolling is round. :-)

Think about my example again, much like a track on a caterpillar tractor.

Reply to
Chris Green

I take it you don't live in London?

The local high street is now at a standstill all day - due to imposing fenced off cycle lanes. Meaning buses stop in the middle of the road blocking it. And stopping emergency vehicles getting through too. Just what is needed during an epidemic with a major hospital off that road.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Same (French) manufacturer.

Reply to
Chris Green

Indeed I don't.

here they've bollarded what were already bike or bus lanes, the effect is that buses can't use them, bikes and pedestrians don't use them either and they've parked huge planters the size of one-tonne bags across some junctions to make new pedestrian areas, signs saying "20mph for social distancing" ... feels very much a case of something must be done, this is something, tso his must be done.

Reply to
Andy Burns

They did the same trick in Manchester on the main road that goes past Salford Royal Hospital and gridlocked one of the main arterial roads into the city right back to the M602 junction with nothing able to move.

After couple of months of this disaster they put bin bags over the old signs and added some rather too small "bus lane temporarily disabled" signs. I haven't been past since lockdown but last time I looked the bin bags were looking pretty tatty. Lucky that traffic is now so light.

Reply to
Martin Brown

My 5-years old Jazz does that, but, like everything, Honda does strange things with its software. If I turn right, particularly at a roundabout, the speed limit display is often lost. Sometimes, but not always, the limiter will show and keep to the limit it previously had, even though no actual speed limit is shown.

This is really annoying in 30mph limits where there are usually no repeater signs - only those shown when you enter the 30mph zone. So after a right turn, if no limit is shown, and no limiter is in operation, it is very easy to creep up to prosecutable levels if you aren't careful, even though the limiter was working before the right turn.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

The inbuilt sat nav has never found anything for me. Despite boasting tens of thousands of alleged POIs. I've always had to use my phone and put the postcode from that in.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Yes, indeed it is.

Mine is a company lease car, but I think the 'Connected Services' that are bundled in for me, are exactly the same as Citroen offer

The GUIs look identical

Mark Carver

Mine picks up lots of inappropriate speed limits. There is a road which goes from 30 to 20 - if you go straight ahead. But remains 30 if you go right. That right turn is the primary direction. But the car picks up 20 and sticks with it for about 2-300 metres down the road.

Another place there is an advisory 30 for bends - but any decent modern car can handle them much faster. It picks the advisory up.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

No. I know the camera it there and generally drive at 86MPH on cruise control according to the Google maps speedo.

Plus I have two speedos on the van.

A dial and a digital. They do not match each other.

The van is off the road ATM but I was aware that the dial was showing much higher than the digital just before it broke down.

Reply to
ARW

86MPH on a motorway might get me on a SAC.

I turned down the last two offers to attend them as it was not worth it as I was working away when the course would have been run.

Everyone I know that has been on one says that they are OK.

Reply to
ARW

why would it be illegal for a satnav to discourage you from speeding?

(warning of cameras I can understand)

tim

Reply to
tim...

It's the showing of camera locations that's not allowed in France, presumably a satnav going 'ding ding ding' counts as showing a location.

Even having a map showing locations is not allowed (in the car).

Reply to
Chris Green