OT Motorway speed cameras

Has your speedo been lying for years ??.

Get an Astra Van and you can go faster than they can record :-)

Reply to
Andrew

'farmers' (actually BIG industrial operations owning thousands of acres) have had their pockets stuffed with taxpayers money for years, just for owning the land. And they have massive IHT advantages which is why the city folk have been using their huge bonuses to buy up farmland for ages, forcing farmland prices up far more than house price inflation.

The richest farmer in the EU owns many thousands of acres down in the Camargue.

Why should hill farmers get far more in subsidies than the benefit cap ?.

The system needs changing.

Fishing is a tiny percentage of GDP, about one hundredth of the amount that the car industry provides.

Reply to
Andrew

? have a special switch to engage DPF regeneration just as you pass and hide behind a diesel smokescreen

Reply to
Andrew

And still get ripped off at the Dartford crossing?:

Reply to
ARW

I will be honest I was deeply cynical when I took mine (but better than points). But I was actually impressed that there was some good info shared and it acted as a good kick to sharpen attitudes to driving in general.

To the extent that I would happily make them compulsory every 10 years.

When you are shown evidence of people going over 100 in a 30 past a school at 2:30 pm on a weekday ..

Reply to
Jethro_uk

as there was no mention at all of cameras in the PPs, I guess your post was plain wrong then

Reply to
tim...

If you use Waze in France you?ll find that it doesn?t show the cameras but does show reported police presence. Folk have taken to just reporting all cameras as ?police?.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

All I learnt was the definitive method of knowing when you are in a

30mph limit where the actual sign is obscured by trees.

Other than running a sat nav.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Several decades ago* I knew a chap who had a separate switch for his rear number plate light. He lived in a rural area and thought it could sometimes be useful on the way home from the pub at night.

  • When the human eye was the only number plate reading device and before breathalysers were in use.
Reply to
nightjar

Yup. Perhaps it's just me, but the idea cyclists should be given exclusive use of half the road when they don't pay for it, rather odd.

The other trick in London is to make little used bus lanes that were once rush hour only now 24/7. Good for revenue with all those cameras.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

It's actually OK now. Part of the upgrade included pretty recent maps. Took 3 hours to do. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Many years ago, we had a customer come in for an MOT in their X/19 they'd just bought in a private sale.

The brake lights didn't work.

After some digging, I found the tiniest of tiny switches mounted just under the carpet by the right foot. It disconnected the brake lights (obviously not a manufacturer fitted part). Once you knew it was there you could reach down and nudge it. Once I found it I did experiment a bit, but it seemed impossible to work it by accident.

I always wondered if it was some sort of proto cash for crash feature ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

If I was on a SAC I'd probably bite my lip, but as we're on usenet ...

That sort of thing often annoys me, the bypass here is two-lane dual carriageway, was a 70 for the last 30+ years, not especially prone to accidents. The dual-carriageway became a 50mph, while the single carriageway feeding it was left at NSL, where's the logic?

Reply to
Andy Burns

This is Cambridge's income spinner that got me

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.2334246,0.1508642,3a,90y,189.96h,88.66t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUiqMYcdjT0lEkoFNwo_T7Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 You are on an urban dual carriageway that has 50 mph signs all along it until suddenly this one has 30 on it. It is the same size as all the others. Nothing about the road changes except there are more streetlamps. Then there is a speed camera a few tens of meters further along.

I remarked to a resident that Cambridge people drove at 15 mph the whole time and were dreadful drivers. He pointed out that there were so many cyclists, speed cameras and different speed limit zones that most people had no idea what speed they could legally drive, so drove under 20, also for hear of hitting the cyclists with no lights cycling the wrong way down one way streets etc, and losing their licenses. (in Cambridge cyclists are legally and morally Always Right).

Contrast this, a road I sometimes drive, which is actually a 60mph National road.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.2126,0.4722496,3a,75y,230.61h,83.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sC1TaL55tC7OLO9iMDIrN8A!2e0

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Logic is that income from fines will increase.

Reply to
charles

But as the instructors patiently pointed out - what you think is totally and utterly immaterial. You don't get to make you your own laws.

And laws have f*ck all to do with logic anyway. That's no way to run a country. As we know, laws are all about "da feelz".

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I can't remember the road, but it's on the way to North Wales, and it snakes and turns and is quite rightly set at 30.

Every single dirt track off it had a NSL sign as you turned off. And to be honest I'd struggle to cycle safely at 10mph *up* some of them.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I had a car zoom past me the other day (4pm on a gloomy afternoon), that had a blinding line of white LEDs right round the perimeter of its front number plate. I was so dazzled I couldn't read the registration. An attempt to dazzle/create flare in the lens of a speed camera ?

Reply to
Mark Carver

About bloody time!

I remember the time, a few years ago, when you described a race you had with one of your lads (in your vans) from Somewhere South, to Home. One of your basic principles was: "set cruise control to 90..."

You've been very lucky not to have killed anyone (or even "only" maimed them) in your driving career Adam.

Neither this opinion, or your NiP, will have any effect however.

John

Reply to
Another John

Well, if 70 mph is that much safer than 86 on a motorway, so too would be

50 mph. Or 30 mph. Or better still a man with a red flag walking in front of every vehicle.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News