M62 Speed Cameras?

Went to Leeds today, not been up the M62 for a while, there were loads of gantries which purported to have speed cameras on them.
Have they?
I ask as nobody seemed to give a shit for sticking to the sped limit.
R D S wrote:

I can't speak for the M62 in particular

Generally yes

My policy these days, as long as there's not an illuminated speed showing, is to keep it below three digits, and I haven't come undone yet, I don't believe the rumours that some cameras are permanently set to 70.
On Sat, 8 Jun 2019 20:35:11 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Be careful along the M1 Derby/Nottingham area. Along with the per lane variable speed limit camears some gantrys have cameras mounted on and half hidden by the vertical support colums. These are active when the variable speed limit isn't. Donno if they are active at all time the variable limit isn't, suffice to say the traffic sticks to 70(ish).
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 08/06/2019 23:44, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Never had a problem at 86MPH.
--
Adam

Dave Liquorice wrote:

J21 to J26 is the stretch I'm most familiar with

Yes you can see them easiest if you glance at the gantries on the opposite carriageway

Fact or rumour?

I'll do 90 through there since the latest section re-opened.
On 09/06/2019 08:07, Andy Burns wrote:

I got flashed twice a couple of months ago on the M1 in South Yorkshire both times at over 90MPH.
I never got a NIP.
--
Adam

On Sun, 9 Jun 2019 08:07:59 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Doesn't mean a lot to me, only go that far south if I'm getting at least two days.

Observation, flashes from opposite carriageway looking in mirror at gantry no variable speed limit.
--
Cheers
Dave.

perhaps the cars were doing more than 70mph. Quite a few do and often a lot more.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 11/06/2019 19:54, charles wrote:

That would be me. Cruise control set to 86MPH when possible. And a lot faster than 86MPH when needed.
--

Adam

On the M5 today, I was driving along at 70, and I was overtaken by someone doing probably about 80 just as I went under a gantry, and I spotted two flashes from above. No restrictions were displayed on the gantry.
Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

I thought that none of the Gatsos were operational anymore, due to the special film they use no longer being available?
No reason why the speed detector and flash gun portions can't still be left running as a deterrent, of course!
--

Terry

Terry Casey wrote:

The HADECS cameras don't use film, they're digital, but still have a visible flash.
Not speed cameras, but I think a lot of the replacement red light cameras here have changed from film+visible flash to digital+IR flash.
snipped-for-privacy@andyburns.uk says...

The digital cameras they are installing around Lincolnshire are very small, are mounted high up and don't flash, we're told.

GATSO cameras had both a visible and an IR flash and took two pictures, one for visible light and the other IR.
Filthy number plates which couldn't be read in visible light could be read in the IR picture.
--

Terry

On 12/06/2019 18:39, Terry Casey wrote:

For 5 years (back on the 90s) I thrashed around the country breaking the speed limit and never got caught by a camera even though I had been flashed several times. I did get stopped by police cars and ticketed a couple of times and stopped several times by police cars for the "It's 11pm we stopped you just to smell your breath type of stuff".
The van passed all it's MOT's and all the police stops and then one day a kid (probably one that had his MMR jab) threw a fit on the pavement when he walked passed the car because the number plate did not match the reg on the tax disc.
The reg ended in UDB but the number plate said UBD.
Needless to say I left the plates on until I sold the van.
--
Adam

On 12/06/2019 19:00, ARW wrote:

I got arrested for that once.
Tax disc said FORD but the van was a BEDFORD
Number plate was OK though. It did fall off on the way to Glastonbury - the first one - though.
--
Of what good are dead warriors? … Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump

Variation on that, a (sadly long since departed) friend had a car where the reg on the front was different to the one on the back (e.g. AAB and ABB) when supplied new. This was sorted out by the dealer very quickly, but not before they'd supplied a plate to go on the trailer. Unfortunately the trailer plate had the wrong version on.
Fast forward several years, and whilst towing through North Wales, he got pulled up by the local plods. As he driven past a road end, the eagle eyed plod had spotted the difference in the two plates. After a short bit of advice ("sort it out") he was sent on his way.
Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

Nice bit of observation by the plods.
I wonder how often policemen and traffic wardens do that sort of check - probably on parked cars - as they are passing on other business. It was said that when tax discs were abolished, it stopped police and traffic wardens doing a cursory check on cars that they were passing to make sure that a) the car had a tax disc rather than a beer label, and b) that the tax disc was for the right car make/reg. Nowadays they have to have reasonable suspicion (rather than just routine check) to do a PNC check to make sure that a car is taxed, insured and (if necessary) MOTed.
My tax disc once fell off the window as I was driving along, and a few seconds later a policeman walked out into the road to stop me for failure to display. I was able to show him the disc on the dashboard, with the holder still wet with my spit where I'd attached it after replacing the old disc with the new one.
On 13/06/2019 15:58, NY wrote: )

They may need 'reasonable suspicion' to stop you but with APNR the check is automatic. (Besides which anyone can check Tax/Ins/MOT online)
--
djc

On 12/06/2019 13:27, Terry Casey wrote:

They made a flash unit for gatsos so they would flash when there was no camera fitted.
On 08/06/2019 20:24, R D S wrote:

On a recent trip to Blackburn I saw one flash a car doing over 90MPH near Rochdale. I ignore the ones near Leeds unless the variable speed limit signs are on.
--
Adam