M62 Speed Cameras?

Went to Leeds today, not been up the M62 for a while, there were loads of gantries which purported to have speed cameras on them.

Have they?

I ask as nobody seemed to give a shit for sticking to the sped limit.

Reply to
R D S

I can't speak for the M62 in particular

Generally yes

My policy these days, as long as there's not an illuminated speed showing, is to keep it below three digits, and I haven't come undone yet, I don't believe the rumours that some cameras are permanently set to 70.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Be careful along the M1 Derby/Nottingham area. Along with the per lane variable speed limit camears some gantrys have cameras mounted on and half hidden by the vertical support colums. These are active when the variable speed limit isn't. Donno if they are active at all time the variable limit isn't, suffice to say the traffic sticks to

70(ish).
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On a recent trip to Blackburn I saw one flash a car doing over 90MPH near Rochdale. I ignore the ones near Leeds unless the variable speed limit signs are on.

Reply to
ARW

Never had a problem at 86MPH.

Reply to
ARW

J21 to J26 is the stretch I'm most familiar with

Yes you can see them easiest if you glance at the gantries on the opposite carriageway

Fact or rumour?

I'll do 90 through there since the latest section re-opened.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I got flashed twice a couple of months ago on the M1 in South Yorkshire both times at over 90MPH.

I never got a NIP.

Reply to
ARW

Doesn't mean a lot to me, only go that far south if I'm getting at least two days.

Observation, flashes from opposite carriageway looking in mirror at gantry no variable speed limit.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

perhaps the cars were doing more than 70mph. Quite a few do and often a lot more.

Reply to
charles

That would be me. Cruise control set to 86MPH when possible. And a lot faster than 86MPH when needed.

Reply to
ARW

On the M5 today, I was driving along at 70, and I was overtaken by someone doing probably about 80 just as I went under a gantry, and I spotted two flashes from above. No restrictions were displayed on the gantry.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Enough of them to catch out the unwary.

About 25% of them are equipped with big grey boxy Gatso's on the Leeds section and smaller yellow devices on the newer bit round Manchester.

Do you not possess a rear view mirror or know how to use it?

You sometimes see the opposing Gatso's flash at someone really pushing the limits. Locals and taxis know which gantries are live. All the of them have marks on the floor but only some of them have actual cameras.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I thought that none of the Gatsos were operational anymore, due to the special film they use no longer being available?

No reason why the speed detector and flash gun portions can't still be left running as a deterrent, of course!

Reply to
Terry Casey

The HADECS cameras don't use film, they're digital, but still have a visible flash.

Not speed cameras, but I think a lot of the replacement red light cameras here have changed from film+visible flash to digital+IR flash.

Reply to
Andy Burns

They made a flash unit for gatsos so they would flash when there was no camera fitted.

Reply to
dennis

I try to look forwards as much as possible when on a busy motorway you clever......

Reply to
R D S

The digital cameras they are installing around Lincolnshire are very small, are mounted high up and don't flash, we're told.

GATSO cameras had both a visible and an IR flash and took two pictures, one for visible light and the other IR.

Filthy number plates which couldn't be read in visible light could be read in the IR picture.

Reply to
Terry Casey

For 5 years (back on the 90s) I thrashed around the country breaking the speed limit and never got caught by a camera even though I had been flashed several times. I did get stopped by police cars and ticketed a couple of times and stopped several times by police cars for the "It's

11pm we stopped you just to smell your breath type of stuff".

The van passed all it's MOT's and all the police stops and then one day a kid (probably one that had his MMR jab) threw a fit on the pavement when he walked passed the car because the number plate did not match the reg on the tax disc.

The reg ended in UDB but the number plate said UBD.

Needless to say I left the plates on until I sold the van.

Reply to
ARW

I got arrested for that once.

Tax disc said FORD but the van was a BEDFORD

Number plate was OK though. It did fall off on the way to Glastonbury - the first one - though.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Variation on that, a (sadly long since departed) friend had a car where the reg on the front was different to the one on the back (e.g. AAB and ABB) when supplied new. This was sorted out by the dealer very quickly, but not before they'd supplied a plate to go on the trailer. Unfortunately the trailer plate had the wrong version on.

Fast forward several years, and whilst towing through North Wales, he got pulled up by the local plods. As he driven past a road end, the eagle eyed plod had spotted the difference in the two plates. After a short bit of advice ("sort it out") he was sent on his way.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian