Band saw injury

So there I was changing the blade on the band saw - took the old one off, and did that twisty thing to fold it into a quarter sized round for storage...
Then I found the nice big large tooth re-saw blade I wanted, and went to uncoil it. Now I was taking all the proper precautions (or so I thought), cut proof gloves, and keeping it well away from the face etc. First time it did not "untwang". So I adjusted my position and tried again, and which point it sprung back into shape rather quickly, and with a whoosh the bottom bit of it sprung round and hit me in the nuts! (blunt side fortunately). Had to lay down on the floor for a bit after that!
--
Cheers,

John.
On 08/06/2019 21:07, John Rumm wrote:

I thought you were typing in a rather high-pitched, squeaky voice!
Glad to know you've still got all your arms and legs: Band saw injury is a bit of a scarey title!
Nick
On Saturday, 8 June 2019 21:54:30 UTC+1, Nick Odell wrote:

It is a bit.
Someone at the bus stop was talking about someone who'd lost four fingers in one.
Owain
On 08/06/2019 21:56, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Your bus stops are weird.
--
Adam

On Sunday, 9 June 2019 15:52:36 UTC+1, ARW wrote:

There was a man and a women at the bus stop the other week.
I wasn't sure if they were ahead of me in the queue so I politely enquired if he was getting on.
He replied, "I'm banned" and then explained why, "for pishing on the bus". I thought, yes, that would do it.
Owain

It does rather beg the question, if he was banned, what was he doing at the bus stop?
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On Sunday, 9 June 2019 18:34:43 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:

One or some of
(a) talking to his girlfriend (b) waiting to see if it was a driver who would remember him (c) waiting for the chemist to open for his daily methodone (d) on his way to the Co-op for his morning croissant and Daily Telegraph
Owain
On 09/06/2019 21:19, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

You are been judgmental. Other options are
(e) waiting until the bus and passengers have gone and then had a shit in the bus stop.
(f) composing a poetry masterpiece that needed a bus stop to complete the works before becoming the next poet laureate.
(g) about to break a court injunction
--
Adam

One thing to be very wary of is offering to repair anything powered by clockwork. Gramophone motors are notorious for giving people lacerations if the spring breaks free or indeed just breaks. I once narrowly avoided injury from an old meccano clockwork motor when the hooked bend retaining it broke and it shot out like some demented rattle snake. Brian
--
----- --

I compressed my mercedes front spring once prior to replacing it and feck me one leg of the compressor sheared and the spring flew down the other end of the garage....very dangerous .......very lucky I was
On 09/06/2019 09:38, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Just changed a rear spring on my Zafira yesterday. I was very pleased that it was no more than jack up car, support on axle stands, support suspension arm on jack, remove lower shock bolt, lower jack, swap spring and reassemble in reverse order. I hate and fear spring compressors!
The downside was that having taken it for an MOT on Friday and finding the spring snapped, I couldn't do it in the afternoon, as I was due at the dentist. So I did it on Saturday morning and took it back in at 12:45, only to to find them shut - despite the signs inside and out saying that there are open 'til 16:00 on a Saturday. Shut today and I've got to take my son to a hospital appointment first thing tomorrow morning, and then start a new job, so I can't take any more time off in the week to get it retested and my wife is currently medically unable to drive, so she can't take it. Grrrr.
Okay, I can use her car in the meantime, but a Matiz is not brilliant for a family of 5 and shopping!
I should have taken mine in earlier (MOT ran out on Saturday), but with my wife unable to work and me being out of work for 2-1/2 months, I was holding off 'til I knew some money was coming in. A month of the wait has been waiting for security clearance to come through.
SteveW

speshly as the matiz only had four seat belts ......
On 10/06/2019 06:46, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

No it has five. That's why we bought it in the first place, when the children were all small. It's one of the few small cars with five belts and although we never normally use it for the whole family, we chose to have a five seater, so that it could serve as a just about useable backup for the family car.
SteveW

I stand corrected......yes I hate small four seaters as well....you feel you are being cheated......cept for the mustang which I had five in on the island of millport as the polis don't care....they were sitting sideways though
On 09/06/2019 09:38, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Bungees are very dangerous.
Bill
On Saturday, 8 June 2019 21:07:27 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

Eek! I'm hiding behind the sofa. I know someone that would say that's an argument for early castration.
NT
On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 9:07:27 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

When unwrapping a bandsaw blade after releasing the last tie I throw it awauy from me to the floor. They're a bastard. Despite watching endless you tube clips still have trouble folding them. Dont like bandsaws anyway. Only fit for making firewood

How else would you turn a tree trunk into planks?
--
There’s a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Traction engine and Racksaw

https://youtu.be/W-BP3vF_oWg

https://youtu.be/W-BP3vF_oWg

Or Pitsaw

https://youtu.be/q4YBOk-JN3c

https://youtu.be/q4YBOk-JN3c

Band saws are a relatively new compared.
GH

Lucas circular swing blade mill would be one option...
(good for traditional lumber sized sawing - not much use for large slabs though)
--
Cheers,

John.