OT Man owns same car for 82 years.

Still running with over a million miles on the clock.

This person had a great start in life, an early exotic present. Mr. Allen Swift: Born - 1908 - Died 2010 This man owned and drove the same car for 82 years. Can you imagine even having the same car for 82 years? Mr. Allen Swift ( Springfield , Massachusetts ) received this 1928 Rolls-Royce Piccadilly-P1 Roadster from his father, brand new - as a graduation gift in 1928. He drove it up until his death ... At the age of 102. He was the oldest living owner of a car that was purchased new. Just thought you'd like to see it.

Reply to
harry

Where does the article claim the million miles?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Harry rarely reads properly the things he posts.

It gives the mileage as more than 170,000, around 2,200 miles p.a., but doesn't tell us whether Rolls Royce calibrated their US cars to the US mile or to the English mile, which were slightly different when the car was built.

Reply to
Nightjar

Is Harry the sort to confuse $ with miles?

Wikipedia wasn't very helpful regarding US miles and any changes.

Reply to
Fredxxx

He seems to skip read the thing he posts.

It was more tongue in cheek than an actual expectation, but it was a Rolls Royce. :-)

Both miles are 1760 yards but, until the international mile was agreed in 1959, the UK, the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa all based the length of the mile on their own standard yards. These had been made in London in 1855, following the loss of the previous standard in the 1838 fire at the Houses of Parliament, and 40 were distributed around the world. However, they were not absolutely identical and, due to the release of manufacturing stresses, they suffered minute changes over time. The differences were very small, but measurable; in 1959, the English mile was slightly shorter than the international mile, while the US mile was 3.129mm longer. The latter still survives as the US Survey Mile.

Reply to
Nightjar

My brother's '87 BMW 520 has done over 250,000 miles - with all the original drivetrain.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

harry explained :

170,000 miles.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I've had loaners with over 250K. The limo that picked us up at BWI this year had 385K.

Reply to
Huge

It actuallly covered 170,000 miles rather than 1 million.

He actually died in 2005, not in 2010,

He owned and drove the car for 78 years not for 82.

So that's 0/3 so far, but apart from that, Mrs Lincoln.

Like to have a shot at the colour while you're at it ?

A nice shade of blue maybe ?

michael adams

michael adams

I wondered if it was a little like the broom which is 70 years old and has only had 12 heads and 15 handles in that time. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

What about U.S. gallons vs ours. We used to have a lot of trouble with Kodak Developer which was different sized, ie smaller if bought from the US. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

8 pints to the gallon 4 gills to the pint

the US gill is 4 fluid oz

the Uk gill 5

go figure

tim

Reply to
tim...

Include in your figuring, the fact that US and UK ounces are slightly different.

Reply to
S Viemeister

That's because their cheese-paring short-measure pint is only 16 fluid ounces instead of the 20 you get here.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Aren't the US measure all the old UK ones - and we changed them here?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The US gallon is the old UK wine gallon.

Reply to
S Viemeister

and some say they find metric confusing.

Reply to
whisky-dave

but in the US system, a pint of water weighs one pound - logical

Reply to
charles

I'm not in the US and a litre of water weighs 1KG

Reply to
whisky-dave

so, the US system makes perfect sense.

Reply to