OT Man owns same car for 82 years.

In the UK system, a gallon of water weighs ten pounds - logical

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yeah sure even yuo got it wrong.

It's a fluid pint not a pint.

One US fluid pint of water weighs about a pound (16 ounces), resulting in t he popular saying, "The pint's a pound, the world around." However, a US pi nt of water weighs 1.04375 pounds and the statement does not hold the world around because the imperial (UK) pint weighs 1.25 pounds.

so total shit.

1 litre weighing 1 KG sems easier to me.

A British imperial capacity measure (liquid or dry) equal to 4 gills or 568 .26 cubic centimeters

Reply to
whisky-dave

They also have "cups"????

Reply to
harry

Are they different from the British cup, which is used as a cooking measure?

Reply to
Nightjar

We redefined the measures after the USA declared independence. So, while we adopted Imperial measurements in 1826, they still use the Queen Anne gallon for wet goods and the William III gallon for dry goods.

Reply to
Nightjar

In fact, it was a gallon of wine, rather than water, that was defined as weighing eight pounds, back in 1266. That was changed to a gallon equalling 231 cubic inches in 1707, which is the value the USA still uses.

Reply to
Nightjar

US measuring cups hold 8 US fl oz. Typical US recipes will call for fractions of a cup, rather than ounces, and multiples of cups, rather than pints.

Reply to
S Viemeister

What gets me is that they call them "English units".

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

'They" being Americans? And 'them' being which units of measurement?

Reply to
S Viemeister

So do bras.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Which was another good reason to have things divisible easily and still have intergers for as long as possible.

I think that's why some get cm and mm confused because they are called slightly differnt things.

Reply to
whisky-dave

USA-ians refer to the US Gallon etc. as English Units.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Really? What part of the US does that? I've spent years in the US, my kids went to school there, and I've never heard an American refer to _US_ gallons as 'English Units'. I _have_ heard them refer to _Imperial_ gallons as English, though.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Interesting. I've heard it quite often.

Mostly I've been on the west coast.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

That may explain it - west-coasters are weird. I've spent a lot of time on the east coast, where I have _never_ heard it, nor have my US-educated children.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I lived on the West Coast for 12 years and never heard it either. Mind you, that was 30 years ago.

Reply to
Tim Streater

IME not in Illinois, Alabama, Texas, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Kentucky, Louisiana, Florida or Georgia.

Reply to
Capitol