Who owns the roof parapet?

Both. It is an extension of the common wall between the two houses, which is known as a party wall.

they will need a Party Wall Agreement on that, but it would be usual to share the cost equally.

And where have they gone?!!

They probably ended up on the ground somewhere in bits.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Both properties and both are responsible for the repair, you will probably find a covenant within the deeds that covers that eventuality. I have seen shared chimney stacks where one side has had their half repointed which seems daft as if the other side is left unmaintained it would not stop an eventual collapse. I guess if you maintained your side and the neighbour ignored the problem any resulting damage would require legal action, but I am only guessing at that.

As for where the tiles have gone Dylan’s “blowing in the wind” comes to mind.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I think the missing tiles may have slipped down onto top of the ones lower down the slope: it looks as if three loose tiles are sitting completely or partially on top of two firmly-attached tiles. As other people on OwnersHub have said, it's the joint responsibility of both house owners to go halves on the maintenance cost.

Reply to
NY

Oh yes, I think you’re right, I can see them now you’ve mentioned it. Thank you

Reply to
Tinna

And it looks like a mortar mix that was too weak was used when the right-hand roof was re-roofed, so it *might* be down to who ever was the last property to have removed and reset those tiles.

WARNING. Watch the people you pay to fix them back like a hawk because it is not unknown for your lead flashing to vanish and be replaced with a mortar fillet which *will* fail a couple of years down the line.

Reply to
Andrew